AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's 5 years old Panny 200 is still going strong. The first bulb died at 1600 hrs. The second one is now at 3700 hrs and still going. When this bulb dies I won't bother replacing it.

What's a cheap replacement?

- 720p

- technology doesn't matter

- lense shift is preferred

- must have built in speakers: don't ask!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't need the built in DVD player, but if there are no other options I'll consider. So let just start with that. What else can I get for under $1k?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Infocus X9 and the Epson Home Cinema 700 both fit the bill. The X9 might be a shade over $1k though (like $50-$100 more), and the Epson is a spruced up business model (EX70 model is almost identical).

Neither has lens shift, but I expect the Epson to be the more flexible of the two to place - but only slightly, the 700 has limited zoom on top of having no lens shift. Both have built in speakers.

Here is a review of the X9:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/infocus/X9/index.php

The Home Cinema 700 is new, and there aren't any reviews yet - that I've found anyhow. It is well under $1k.

You can also look at the WXGA business machines that are out there (in fact, the Epson is a 1280x800 model).

I'd give the X9 a hard look.

·
Registered
744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904 /forum/post/15509228

My son's 5 years old Panny 200 is still going strong. The first bulb died at 1600 hrs. The second one is now at 3700 hrs and still going. When this bulb dies I won't bother replacing it.

What's a cheap replacement?

- 720p

- technology doesn't matter

- lense shift is preferred

- must have built in speakers: don't ask!

im asking.

why does it need built in speakers.

even if you wanted a cheap option, you could run a cheap pair of stereo pc speakers.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The built-in speakers will limit your choices. Few, if any projectors will meet that requirement and still have lens shift. The above Epson is a good choice. Here are a couple of DLPs, if that's your choice:

Optoma EP1691: DLP, no lens shift, 1280 x 768

BenQ M730: DLP, no lens shift, 1280 x 800

Also, you may want to define "cheap" for us. One man's cheap is another's expensive. I limited my choices to projectors going for less than a grand. More money, of course, buys you more choices. Less, and you're more limited.

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/15519041

The built-in speakers will limit your choices. Few, if any projectors will meet that requirement and still have lens shift. The above Epson is a good choice. Here are a couple of DLPs, if that's your choice:

Optoma EP1691: DLP, no lens shift, 1280 x 768

BenQ M730: DLP, no lens shift, 1280 x 800

Also, you may want to define "cheap" for us. One man's cheap is another's expensive. I limited my choices to projectors going for less than a grand. More money, of course, buys you more choices. Less, and you're more limited.

Jim

Why not the X9?

The Epson Home Cinema 700 has no lens shift, and has about the same limited zoom as the X9. The Epson is $200 less than the X9 though...

I'm not bashing your post - I'm just curious as it really seems that the X9 gets no love at all! I had posted in another thread where that questions was asked. Reading Art's review (linked above) made it sound that the X9 was a really solid projector, but I never see anyone suggesting it. It could be that it is a new model, but so is the 700. And I haven't even seen a review of the Epson yet!

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:
Why not the X9?

The Epson Home Cinema 700 has no lens shift, and has about the same limited zoom as the X9. The Epson is $200 less than the X9 though...

I'm not bashing your post - I'm just curious as it really seems that the X9 gets no love at all! I had posted in another thread where that questions was asked. Reading Art's review (linked above) made it sound that the X9 was a really solid projector, but I never see anyone suggesting it. It could be that it is a new model, but so is the 700. And I haven't even seen a review of the Epson yet!

You're right about the X9 getting no love. And actually I think it's probably a pretty good projector, although I have not yet seen it. But for those recommendations, I had a strict cutoff of $1000, and the X9 just missed it.

Jim

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904 /forum/post/15509541

We don't need the built in DVD player, but if there are no other options I'll consider. So let just start with that. What else can I get for under $1k?

Well rick if you dont need DVD player inbuilt , then you have to increase your budget little bit. Just visit the following link and browse thru no. of projecters available in market with best price.
http://www.electronics-expo.com//ind...&p=1&template=

You can buy online from them also nd they will ship you ur product in specified time. So have a gr8 time with your new projector.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpindersohi /forum/post/15565456

Well rick if you dont need DVD player inbuilt , then you have to increase your budget little bit. Just visit the following link and browse thru no. of projecters available in market with best price.
http://www.electronics-expo.com//ind...&p=1&template=

You can buy online from them also nd they will ship you ur product in specified time. So have a gr8 time with your new projector.

?

There are loads of projectors he can get without increasing his budget.

He wants a 720p w/speaker. Realistically, there are also a number of WXGA models that will work. All within budget.

To the OP - have you made a choice yet?

·
Registered
903 Posts
The requirement for built-in speakers sounds mighty ridiculous no matter what the reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts