AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I think you should edit your subject line to less then () $800. Also I would not suggest buying a PC with only a one way cable card tuner since hopefully this wintr PCs with Tru2Way cable card tuners will become available.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16942147

I think you should edit your subject line to less then () $800. Also I would not suggest buying a PC with only a one way cable card tuner since hopefully this wintr PCs with Tru2Way cable card tuners will become available.

Good catch on the whole ... oh well...

Whats this about tru2way cablecard tuners? I will have to search this.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead /forum/post/16942273

Whats this about tru2way cablecard tuners? I will have to search this.

Don't bother. The cable companies took eight years to get the first version of cablecard out, kicking and screaming the whole way. By the time they did, it was already obsolete because it couldn't handle 2-way communication. Be prepared to wait another eight years for 2-way cards, by which point they'll be obsolete too.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
isn't this only if you care about on demand...?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Currenly the cable companies are leasing digital PVRs to their customers that contain Tru2way capable tuner cards. I have a fairly new Motorola digital PVR from my cable company that came withe one installed in the back of the unit.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtyler1 /forum/post/16942786

I'm interested in this too. Fluid Digital looks pretty sweet, but I don't know about price. I can't find any at Dell or HP...

Ideas?

You are not going to find Dell building such a niche product. HP might, but unless Dell can order 10,000 parts or more, they won't bother.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The problem with CableCard on an HTPC is that it can't handle switched digital video. (SDV) I don't know what market you're in, but here in Austin, TX under TimeWarner, most of our HD Channels are SDV. They only recently released a Tuning Adapter that works with the Tivo HD, Tivo Series 3, and Tivo HD XL units. And it sucks, and works sporadically. It's a mess to watch and record HD cable video on anything other than a cable box DVR, and that's the way cable companies want it to stay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts