AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any low priced 9" PJ's that are better then the best 8" PJ's but do not cost an arm and a leg? I was just wondering if I could get a better PJ then my NEC XG110 without spending upwards of $10,000.00.

Thanks

Deron

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Say Deron

The nine inch systems tend to be flagship products; they cost more to build, tubes and lenses especially, and are produced in fewer numbers. Your request will be tough to fill.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
My response?

NO!

Curt

·
Registered
876 Posts
I want the best but I want it cheap!

That just about sums up this era of instant gratification that we now live in. :) Good luck in your search. There are some things you HAVE to pay for.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
For the money, the xg 110 is tough to beat. Next step up is a g-90, but thats $25k.

FYI I traded up fron a 135LC to a g90.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob

I noticed you replaced your Barco 808 (the one in the ads.) with a Ampro. Are you now using a 9" Ampro? I guess it is better then the 808. Have you seen the NEC XG's in action? What do you like about the Ampro? What are you getting out of it in the way of resolution. How much are they?

Thanks

Deron

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes, Bob's seen my XG110LC in action, and for color it is still king of the hill, however, I have sold my NEC, as another has sold his E'home 8500 (then Bob sold this 808s) because of these Ampro 3600s...a very good pj at a great price.

Razor sharp, quite compared to the NEC, very stable, built like a tank (you wouldn't believe the tube/lense mounting structure on the 3600p)

I'm starting to think about finding some NEC color correction lenses...they both use Panasonic tubes, so it's quite possible they will work.

When it comes to color, I don't think your going to find anything that betters the NEC XGs, and if that's your main concern, then you've got the best already.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
As Kenny mentioned, Deron, down here there are three of us who have switched to using Ampro. More specifically the model 3600 8" Ampro. I own 9" Ampros too and like them fine. All of the later model Ampros are good performers picture quality wise. But we're finding the 3600 (which was Ampros last design) has really advanced performance and compares very favorably to other more highly regarded projectors which are priced higher.

Bob

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guy's

I do not get it, you sold very good top of the line PJ's to go to the Ampro 3600. Do not tell me you did it just to make a little money, by going to a cheaper PJ. It would have to be a big differance in price or quality to get me to switch from a well oiled machine to a different one. With all the work of finding a excellent one, selling the other, hanging it and setting it up. I mean look at Kenny, he is still working on his Ampro to get the color as good as the NEC.

Tell me this is just all hobbie related.

Oh, and by the way, where can I get my Ampro.

Deron

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Hi Deron,

as the color filtering red and green c-elements are probably quite easily installed on an Ampro 4300/4600 this might be the only 9" unit that will be cheap, quiet, color filtered and a bit better than your XG. But don't take my word for it - check out a well set up unit of those before you make your decision.

And if you come to the conclusion that the 4xxx Ampro is the way to go let us know :)

Best

Oliver

P.S: The Sony 1292 is also a serious contender, but for most of us it is too big and loud (not for me, I own one ;) )

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I'm sure Kenny will chime in here and try to answer your question, Deron.

As for me I've been fooling with AmPros for many years. When I finally got to see a 3600 perform for the first time I was very impressed with it's performance. So to revert back to using an AmPro was second nature for me. As to where you can get one I don't know how to advise you on that one. I'm just constantly on the search for projectors. I stumbled onto some 3600's. Wouldn't have a clue where to get any more though.

As I said, Kenny will speak for himself. But I think I can safely say that he is not trying to convince you that the Ampro will outperform an XG. Only that it provides a very big percentage of the performance for considerably less investment. Sort of like when you see so many folks tell us that an XG will provide a big percentage of G90 performance for considerably less investment. It's the same sort of reasoning.

Bob

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
p.s. I should mention one thing. I got this second hand so do not know for absolute certain if it is for real. Apparently Eric Geller (one of the true Ampro gurus) told someone I know that only the 3600 received the design enhancements and not the 4600. If that's true then apparently Ampro folded before they got around to upgrading their 9" model at the end. I was told that Eric said there is not much difference between the 4300's and the 4600's performance except for a little more light output and a little higher hor scanning rate. On the other hand he has said the 3600 is quite a bit more advanced than the earlier 8" 3300.

If anyone out there can either verify or dispute this I would be very interested in what others have to say about it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
What about the NEC 10PG? Those can be had for under 10K can't they? I'm not sure how much better than the XG110LC they are but they are argueably the best projector NEC ever made.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Bob,

Do you think that the boards from a 3600 would go into a 4600? If so that might be a way to get all the upgrades into a 9 incher.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I've been wondering about all this, Thurman, ever since I was told what Eric was supposed to have said. I had my hands on a couple 4600's that I couldn't get working. I dumped them before I knew all this. Now wish I had them back.

We probably should start another thread about this (so we don't get Deron's thread too off topic) but I would surely be interested in hearing from someone who is familiar with both the 3600 and 4600 and can tell us how much alike or how much different they are. Frankly, I'm skeptical about this. I can't understand why the 3600 and 4600 would not have almost the same electronics and firmware. Why would the company not have incorporated the design upgrade into both units?

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lucas
I want the best but I want it cheap!

That just about sums up this era of instant gratification that we now live in. :) Good luck in your search. There are some things you HAVE to pay for.
I think to sum up the current era, you have to add that you want it now. It goes like this:

Cheap, Fast, Good

You can have any two of the above.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.