AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Sony subwoofer from a HTIB, and a Sony AVR that I'd like to get set up in my garage/workshop. The satellites are long gone, so I just want to get a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers so I can listen to music in there with something better than a boombox.

Amazon has the Sony SS-B1000 for around $60/pair. Anyone have experience with these speakers, or have another favorite in this price range (or cheaper)? My basic criterion is "not garbage."

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
6,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC  /t/1449049/cheap-bookshelf-speakers-for-garage#post_22772269

I've got an old Sony subwoofer from a HTIB, and a Sony AVR that I'd like to get set up in my garage/workshop. The satellites are long gone, so I just want to get a cheap pair of bookshelf speakers so I can listen to music in there with something better than a boombox.

Amazon has the Sony SS-B1000 for around $60/pair. Anyone have experience with these speakers, or have another favorite in this price range (or cheaper)? My basic criterion is "not garbage."
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405R

Pioneer BS21's. Newegg has had them new for $49/pr. Right now they are $69/pair new, and $39/pair open box.

These are outstanding speakers, and at that price, you would be hard pressed to better them.

There is a massive owners thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

Brian

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks. No subwoofer upgrade needed, my old Sony will still give me way better bass than any of the cheapo shelf systems I was looking at. The space is acoustically terrible, but it's big enough that I might as well use the perfectly serviceable receiver I already have in storage rather than getting an underpowered all-in-one at twice the price of a pair of basic bookshelf speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts