AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have the Z1, I also have a HTPC, a progressive DVD player (component output) and a XBOX (also component output). The DVD player and XBOX produces nice images in 480/576/720p but the Z1 component input isn't just as sharp as the VGA input. So what transcoder should I buy so that I can take advantage of the Z1 VGA input and get nice crisp images from my DVD/XBOX? I'm not that interested in paying several of hundreds of $...

*Must support atleast up to 576p (progressive pal)

*Nice if it also supports 720p

*Nice, but not necessary, if it has VGA passthrough that don't destroy the signal (will use this for the HTPC instead of a external switch box)

*Two VGA outputs are not needed

*Cheap!! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Warning, the Copperbox website says it probably won't work with most projectors...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these Key Digital Xbox transcoders with a digital projector?

It sure sounds like it would work for me but I'd like to know that it was compatible first.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
don't know about the KD XBox transcoders, but i used to have a KD CTCA2 component to VGA transcoder and it worked GREAT for my old Panny AE100...

only problem is that it wasn't cheap...

may have fallen in price since then though...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello: I have the Audio Authority 9A62 Transcoder connecting my Sony DVD to my sony VPL CX5 Data pj. It works just fine and was considerably less expensive than the Key Digital one.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dahrich
Hello: I have the Audio Authority 9A62 Transcoder connecting my Sony DVD to my sony VPL CX5 Data pj. It works just fine and was considerably less expensive than the Key Digital one.

Regards,

Richard

I have this one and it works well. However, it only passes signals at 480p, it doesn't pass the full 1080i for HDTV...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I got a good cheap (about $100) one that moome advertised in the classifieds here, but I don't know how to get ahold of him now. I think he made these somewhere overseas. Worked great for 1080i to my D-ILA after I returned a more expensive Key Digital unit that didn't work for me.

--Darin

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello:

I have been told that Audio Authority does not say the 9A62 will pass 1080i because of the differences in systems but a good source told me it would. Our local cable co. is doing Beta Testing on HDTV at 1080i and I was able to connect my pj with the 9A62 to a Setup box at a Beta site. The pj displayed the 1080i signal just fine. So I guess it depends on which pj is used.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dahrich
Hello:

I have been told that Audio Authority does not say the 9A62 will pass 1080i because of the differences in systems but a good source told me it would. Our local cable co. is doing Beta Testing on HDTV at 1080i and I was able to connect my pj with the 9A62 to a Setup box at a Beta site. The pj displayed the 1080i signal just fine. So I guess it depends on which pj is used.

Regards,

Richard

It definitely displays 1080i just fine.

The problem is it crushes blacks a bit and slightly softens detail.

Depending on your display, however, you may not even notice.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
"The problem is it crushes blacks a bit and slightly softens detail."

Robert, does it do this with regular 480p DVD material?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gray Davis
"The problem is it crushes blacks a bit and slightly softens detail."

Robert, does it do this with regular 480p DVD material?

Not to my eyes.

I took it out and hooked it up last night after re-reading this thread and switched back and forth between the transcoder and directly into the Boxlight 1HD.

DVD's looked much better than using the component input and HD looked great too, but I was keeping a critical eye on the differences between HD directly in and through the transcoder...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DennisR
Why would someone use one of these things rather than the $20 Component to VESA adapter available from Infocus? Link to the Infocus item

Dennis
That's not a transcoder. You have to have a projector that can accept a progressive input through the RGB input (like the X1).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Clark
That's not a transcoder. You have to have a projector that can accept a progressive input through the RGB input (like the X1).
Has anyone tried this with the Z1?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I still have one for my ex-X1, I've heard that it will not work with the PLV-Z1 but I'll give it a try...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.