AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The room I have my home theater setup is open on one end, and I want to close it off with some curtains/drapes. I am a cheap bastard and I am looking for a low cost DIY solution (so motorized BTX, Makita, etc. need not apply). What I think might work best is a simple two-way curtain rod and some curtains/drapes from a source such as IKEA.

My question goes to where to get the necessary hardware, and how hard or easy will it be for someone who is only mildly competent to put up? Where can I get a two-way curtain rod (ie, one that has curtain material on both the left and right sides when open)? Or should I be thinking about a system using wands? Are there any curtain rods that are bent (or that can be bent at a metal shop)?

The opening to the room is about 12' wide. On one side of the opening, there is a short section of wall that is at a 45 degree angle away from the opening, and if possible, I'd like to have the curtain open over to that 45 degree section (does that make sense)? On the other side, this isn't necessary since the staircase to the second story blocks access to the room. I have my projector hanging in the middle of the short "stub" extending from the ceiling marking the dividing line between this room and the next (which is why I need a two-way curtain rod).

The main reason for installing the curtain is to provide some light control. We also use this room as a spare guest room when we have a lot of guests, so it would be nice to give anyone staying there some privacy. Also, it would give me a place to put up a consistent background for playing with my Eyetoy. :) I want some reasonably-priced drapes that will look OK from either side (doesn't have to be perfect though). I was at IKEA this weekend and saw some decent options for the fabric at least.

I know there are some rods for bay window applications that have a curved track. The problem is that my opening is too wide. Can i insert a section of track between the angled pieces of such a setup to extend the central portion? What are the best brands and the best places to find them? Hope my rambling makes some sense and that someone out there can offer some advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd go to a welding supply like Airgas or Praxair and ask about their Frommelt safety curtain hardware. The curtains are expensive, but I think they sell all the hardware seperately. Lots of different configuration options and choices with tracks and hooks. google for frommeltsafety

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.