AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about setting up a digital AV distrubution solution in my house, had an idea of how it can be done relatively cheaply. I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on the possibility of it working.

- Rip all my music and DVDs digitally onto Central PC. Doesn't have to be a media PC, just needs to act like a file server (with big / fast hard drive)

- Hook up individual Prismiq set-top boxes in each room to TV and Digital 5.1 Reciever. Not all rooms will have 5.1, but I'd like to get 5.1 where I do have a 5.1 setup. Prisimiq are relatively cheap ($200 a pop), and support almost all digital media formats for audio / video.

- Connect Prisimiq boxes and Central PC via 802.11g (55mbps)

Some questions that I'm not sure of:

Does the hard drive in my PC have enough bandwith to support multiple rooms getting media off of it? I have a 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100 drive I think.

For ripped movies, will the signal be exactly the same as if it were being played directly off the DVD? In other words will I get 5.1 sound and exact video bitstream that is stored in DVD. PrisimIq only has S-Video, so i believe there will be some quality loss, but up to the PrisimIq everything should be original digital stream.

Will the wireless network handle several rooms playing various audio / video at the same time? I think I should be able to get 2-3 movie streams with this type of bandwidth w/o issues.

Not sure if anyone else has tried this with the PrisimIq and has had success.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I will leave the network comments to others. I recollect a lecture the chief technology officier at Intel gave some years ago. His point was that if you wanted 100 per cent reliability with video transmission use a wire. If reliability is not an issue wireless was an option. I gather that given the bandwidth of a DVD you would think a G network would work. And perhaps it will. But if it were critical application I would use a wire.

Alan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.