AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walmart has bins of sale DVD's for $5.88 each including Last Action Hero, Night Shift and Altered States (all WS). Not "Oscar" worthy titles by any means, but the pq on Night Shift was suprisingly good and LAH has a very active 5.1 audio track.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bin-diving is always fun :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I picked up an El-Cheapo release of Dragnet and some other detective shows. Nothing else to make me go nuts (which is good considering I have a backlog of over $100 DVDs)

Bin Diving is fun but I find myself doing it at FYE more (mostly Alpha Video Stuff lately)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I picked up Rambo II and II with WS and DTS for $5.88 each. I also bought Pinochio (with real actors and wodden puppet instead of cartoon) for same price. Poseidon Adventure (2.35 aspect) digital remastered for $5.88. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You liked rambo II so much you bought II of them??? (OK, I'm sure its a typo but I couldn't resist.

But in sincerity, those are movies that I wouldn't even rent. That's the beauty of bin diving - one mans trash, another's gem. I think it was Rambo III that has to be the absolutely worst movie of all time. Of course, I'm sure there are movies that I like that you'd toss cookies over.

Speaking of bin diving, I've seen some decent stuff at pawnshops but you have to be careful to look at the disc for damage.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ok, it WAS $5. Why is it $5.88 now? Ugg. Darn inflation. I do some bin diving too. A lot of foolscreen DVDs in there. I managed to find a good movie outta there. My mom said it was good anyway. So, heck, for $5, I might as will give it a try. So, I got the DVD, looked at the back to make sure it was widescreen. It says it's 2.35:1. Didn't say it was anamorphic. It was in a Snapper case too. BTW, the movie is Switch. I took it home and started playing the movie, switched the DVD player to 16x9 mode and everything got tall and skinny, so it IS anamorphic, so it'll look good whenever I get a widescreen TV. For $5, Switch was a pretty good movie. I'll do some bin diving more often. Might be some more good movies in there.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
For some inexplicable reason, they have Muppets From Space at $5.88 (a pretty good movie relative to the normal $5.88 dreck); if you don't have this disc, get it...it's a looker, and at $5.88, can't be beat!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sam's Club also has an el cheapo DVD section, I got Shackdown for less then $5, it was DD2.0 though.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I bought Omega Doom / Blind Fury for $6. At $3 per movie, I couldn’t pass that up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got a Three Stooges set the other day that had some Shemp Howard (by himself) shorts on it and some early ones wih Ted Healy. Not stuff you see everyday Was pretty good exceptPlatinum Video puts a big ugly watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the video >_

·
23,045 Posts
Seems like all the Wal-Marts were dumping the same DVDs. I picked

up "Night Shift", "Red Heat", and "Trick or Treat" (Gene Simmons and

Ozzy Osbourne in cast). If I see one more copy of "Earnest Scared

Stupid II" ( or whatever it was) I'm gonna hurl. :)

I also wish the bin wasn't so deep, I couldn't reach to the bottom.

larry

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
I just got a few there myself, Grand Canyon and Inventing the Abbots (ooohhh Jennifer!!)
Damn. Grand Canyon for that much. Argh!

fuad

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The "bin diving" at Walmart is a trip.

What may be an odd merchandising scheme is also amusing as one needs to literally dig through a three foot deep bin of unorganized plastic and cardboard to possibly uncover a rare gem (at one point when I pulled my arm out, I thought I had lost my watch in the abyss). While I was there, many shoppers were building piles from the holes they were digging only to have a clerk show up with a box and dump the next batch over everything. As a poster above also said, I have never seem so many "Ernest Scared Stupid" DVD's in one place.

Although I would never question Walmarts expertise in merchandising (there are 36 countries whose GDP falls below a single day's Walmart revenue), it seems that they would do better by placing them in a more accessible display. And I bet they sell more "Ernest" DVD's than those 36 other countries.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I purchased the complete Spawn animated series for 5.88 each. Stuff I wouldn't normally buy but for 5.88 it's practically nothing. Others I've picked up for that price are Logan's Run, Above the Law, Blast from the Past, Rumble in the Bronx and Cabin Boy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ksoza
The "bin diving" at Walmart is a trip.

Although I would never question Walmarts expertise in merchandising (there are 36 countries whose GDP falls below a single day's Walmart revenue), it seems that they would do better by placing them in a more accessible display.
You think that's not accessible? My Walmart actually has some of the 5.88 DVDs locked behind glass with the rest of the DVDs! So, now I have to go flag down a clerk to buy a

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you are looking for a pleasant, little romantic comedy in anamorphic widescreen for $5.88, try 'Good Advice' with Angie Harmon and Denise Richards (and Charlie Sheen).

Duane

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.