AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a bit about bulbs exploding, but it seems any bulb genuine or not can explode, but I am unsure if this can really cause damage? My Projector is an Epson TW8200 and a genuine spare bulb is over 400 dollars, but I have seen ebay bulbs as low as 70 odd dollars and most are an average of 170 Aus dollars. I dont need a bulb right now as my projector is new but I was thinking about getting a spare. I am a long time hifi head and never really had much interest in home theater but the Epson has converted me it is amazing!! We are watching movies every night and I would hate to be without my PJ because I did not have a spare bulb

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Read the horror stories and decide for yourself. Forget blown up lamps. How about lamps that fail in 300 hours, then you have to buy 5 to equal the life of the one you originally had. How about lamps which look great, then burn through the polarizer and destroy the projector. Or burn the optics of the projector. There are plenty of people who have good luck, but from all I can tell, it's a risk. A serious risk.

But, it's YOUR risk to take, not mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about buying genuine epson lamps bare to fit then to the housing yourself later as I build my own amps so I cant see any problems wiring in a bulb? Are there any issues I have not considered?

Regards

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts