Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I've done quite a bit of research into HDTVs over the past few days.

The reason is, basically, that I recently got an Xbox and wanted to let its graphics quality shine through with HDTV. But, I don't want to spend too much money since I don't watch regular television and would only use it for Xbox gaming and the occasional DVD movie. I've therefore been looking into the low-end 27" HDTVs due to their low price and I'm confident that if I get a decent one that it'll last me at least 5 years due to the proven technology.

I'm currently set on getting one of the Zeniths (either 27" or 32", whichever is available first because they're both out of stock at my local CC and BB).

Basically, I have two questions. The first is: is this really my best option for a cheap HDTV quality picture? Will the cheaper HDTVs be able to handle Xbox's input (which I think may be 720 and I've heard that some HDTVs can't display that)? Would I be better off getting a $1,000 projector?

The other question is: what exactly do I need in addition to the new HDTV in order to utilize the thing for Xbox games and DVDs? Will I need a special component cable for the Xbox in order to hook it up to an HDTV, or will the video and two audio cables that come standard with the Xbox hook right into the HDTV?

It'd be excellent if any of you could lend some advice!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was just talking to someone else about my wanting to purchase an HDTV for Xbox and DVD viewing enhancement, and he said that I'm crazy.

He said that DVDs don't support HD technology and that movies. He also added the following:
Quote:
There's nothing inherent about HD that improves DVD quality. It's like saying Doom looks better on a monitor with a maximum resoltuion of 1600x1200 as opposed to one with a max of 1024x768. It looks the same on both, because it's not using the resolution capabilities of the better monitor. Also, progressive DVD is extremely overrated. As long as your TV is doing a full scan (i.e. progressive 60Hz as opposed to 120Hz) it's pretty much functionally irrelevant whether or not your DVD player is progressive. And, sorry, but you'd have to be ****ing insane to buy HD just to get more resolution out of your Xbox. Also, since the Xbox is closed-spec, I'm betting it simply upsample to output HD resolutions. Meaning you get **** all, once again. Incidentally, I know this from experience, because I have an HDTV. And the only only time HD is worth the money is when you see real HD programming, things that were actually filmed with HD cameras or converted as HD from original film prints.
So basically I feel like an HDTV purchase wouldn't be worth the money to me now because the only real benefit is seen when you actually watch HD programming, which I don't want/have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Rocckkstar,

The Xbox can output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, However the game has to be programed for these resolutions. Currently many xbox game are set up for 480p, but only 2 are set for 1080i, THE MATRIX and DRAGONS LAIR 3D, and there are no games that run at 720p yet. One other thing, when playing back dvd's the xbox only plays at 480i.

I will say that I do belive that an HD set will give you better performance for your gaming than a STD set. All HDsets can handle 480p which most game will play at. Plus it's possible that HALO2 will be capable of HD resolutions. Another nice thing is that most HD sets will up scale 480i sources to 480p giving you a much better image. I have recently seen many of last years 27" models for around $400 bucks. My friends and I have three Zeniths set up at our studio for xbox Link gaming and they look great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I forgot to say that you will need to get the HD component box for the Xbox in order to get the higher resolutions. $30 bills and it comes with optical sound out for 5.1 receivers.

I also have two projectors that I use to watch movies, hdtv, and yes games. But I still use my home HD direct view for most of my gaming.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bryan, there are games in 720p on Xbox...

Amped 2

Crash Nitro Kart

Dragon's Lair 3D (in both 720p and 1080i)

Enter the Matrix (in both 720p and 1080i)

ESPN NBA Basketball

Freedom Fighters

NBA 2K3

Soul Calibur II

Street Hoops

Syberia (in both 720p and 1080i)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

Tony Hawk: Underground

True Crime Streets of L.A.

World Series Baseball 2k3

... are all in 720p. All of these are confirmed working 720p titles. But go to hdtvarcade.com for a great resource on the matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just talking to another knowledgeable guy about my desires, and I think he feels a low-end digital projector might be my best option.

If they get 4000 hours of bulb life, and I watch movies and game for about 10 hours total each week, my napkin calculator says that'd be like 8 years before I'd even have to replace the bulb. Sounds like a great deal.

Am I missing something? How's the picture quality of an InFocus X1 vs. a 27" Zenith HDTV?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks shpankey,

I wasn't aware of 720p nature of those games I appreciate the Info. It's been a while since I did a good search for that info. thanks again.

Rocckkstar as far as the difference between the INFOCUS VS ZENITH.

INFOCUS: Big Image which is always fun. If you don't have at least a fairly dark room it's much harder to see plus you will have more motion artifacts and less colour/contrast.

CHEAP ZENITH: It's a much smaller image. Better overall image detail, colour,contrast,and motion artifacts. Can be seen in a bright sunny room.

Both have benefits but hard to compare the two.

Keep us informed on what you decide to do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am going to be getting the Zenith 32v36 as it look the best to me for the price. It looks as good as the sony 32" which is $400 more.

I love playing XBox in EDTV and HDTV. Games look so much better in 480p than 480i. 720p looks asesome on my 19" monitor with the X2VGA adapter, but I want a bigger screen so I am getting the Zenith!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys. I just bought an X1 and am pretty psyched thus far. Stay tuned for some future posts from me regarding my experiences. Thanks to those of you who replied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.