AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Xantech IR system in the home theater. I am looking at adding a second IR receiver in the bedroom to control the DSS and sending the signal down Cat 5 to the Home theater location.

I read once, but am failing to find it, that there are cheap alternatives instead of using Xantechs dinky link. If anyone knows of a cheap IR receiver that will integrate with the Xantech system could they pass the info on.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lee at Homedirector.com has some ChannelPlus ir recievers and emmitters at a very good price. I beleive the reciever is made by Xantech. It is identical to the 291-10 Hidden Link.

For only $20 you get the following:

hidden link ir reciever

dual blinking emitter

decora style ir coax injector

decor style ir emmitter module

power supply.

Normal retail of these items is over $175.00. The hidden link reciever is usually 59.95 by itself. With these components, the ir is injected onto the coax from the remote location and split out at the media center.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Boykster,

One question on the allelectronics IR receiver. Is that a 3 conductor cable that it comes with. For the signal, power, and ground. If it is a three conductor cable that will be the easiest way to tie right into the connecting block of the Xantech. It should not know the difference, as long as the xantech can feed two different IR receivers.

HTMAN#1,

I tried to look up the info at homedirector.com but I could not find anything resembling that at the structured wiring website. Is that the site that you were referring to. I do not have enough wire at the location to use a coax to send the signal over. It would have to be sent via Cat5. Can I order the equipment by the piece or just as a package.

Ben

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Ben,

Yes, it is a three conductor cable....gnd, +5v, signal. The cable has a standard 3 conductor stereo jack (male) on the end...I bought some of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D274

from RatShack and soldered a segment of phone cord to it (to interface with my IR system....needs phone connector).

The schematic for the receiver is....

Black - Gnd - Barrel (base of plug)

Red - +5 - middle of plug

White - RX - tip of plug

where the color is the wire color (if you take apart the receiver).

For the price, these IR receivers are a steal :p

Cheers,

and Goodluck!

Rich

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HTman,

That is a very good deal, the only problem that I have is that I only have 1 RG-6 at that location and need to run the IR over cat 5.

Boykster,

Will I fry the allelectonics Ir receiver if I throw 12v dc at it. The Xantech power supply uses 12v dc.

If that does not work I could buy a 5v power supply, and just send the data into the Xantech system. Any ideas.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.