AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to buy a cheap LCD panel for a relative who has no TV, and has no cable hookup. This is not a scenario I'm familiar with, so I assume I need something with a decent tuner and antenna (I can give him a hand-me-down DVD player). I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that will be useable and useful at a cheap price point. Any input would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
well in addition to the HDTV you are buying you will need like a $50 Amplified Antenna so don't forget about that.



And since its for Over the Air signals and not HD digital cable


I would say get a TC-L32S1 its about $430 on Amazon.com no tax free ship and its an IPS Alpha type LCD panel which, is much better and handling Motion, than other LCD's without having to pay extra for 120hz.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702


or a nice Samsung, LN32B640 slightly more money but darker blacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
If you are going to go budget I would look at Sanyo. They actually put out a decent product and they are dirt cheap.


And have scored pretty well on some of Consumer reports reviews and are among the top trouble free tv's.


Obviously you can get better but some people are just not out spend alot of money and if budget brand is what you are looking for, give them a look at your local Target and Walmart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/18180360


If you are going to go budget I would look at Sanyo. They actually put out a decent product and they are dirt cheap.


And have scored pretty well on some of Consumer reports reviews and are among the top trouble free tv's.


Obviously you can get better but some people are just not out spend alot of money and if budget brand is what you are looking for, give them a look at your local Target and Walmart

+1, for a cheap TV Sanyo has good reliability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemmy /forum/post/18178853


Hi, I'm looking to buy a cheap LCD panel for a relative who has no TV, and has no cable hookup. This is not a scenario I'm familiar with, so I assume I need something with a decent tuner and antenna (I can give him a hand-me-down DVD player). I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that will be useable and useful at a cheap price point. Any input would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks

Regarding OTA reception--I'd strongly advise you to go to antennaweb.org. You can punch in your relative's zip code and they will tell you what type of antenna will work best and which way to point it.


When choosing an antenna don't pay more for one that is promoted as being especially suitable for HD or digital--there's no such animal in reality. An antenna that worked the best for the old analog signals will also work the best for digital.


Indoor antennas, depending on the construction of the home, don't usually work very well if you're more than 15-20 miles from the broadcast towers.

Masonry walls, including stucco, foil-backed insulation, and tile roofs all block signals.


Back in the day when you had to buy the tuner separately the brand to go for was LG, primarily because they bought Zenith. Zenith did most of the R&D on the ATSC digital OTA broadcast standard that was adopted by the FCC, went broke in the process, and LG bought then out along with all their patents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18184223


Regarding OTA reception--I'd strongly advise you to go to antennaweb.org. You can punch in your relative's zip code and they will tell you what type of antenna will work best and which way to point it.


When choosing an antenna don't pay more for one that is promoted as being especially suitable for HD or digital--there's no such animal in reality. An antenna that worked the best for the old analog signals will also work the best for digital.


Indoor antennas, depending on the construction of the home, don't usually work very well if you're more than 15-20 miles from the broadcast towers.

Masonry walls, including stucco, foil-backed insulation, and tile roofs all block signals.


Back in the day when you had to buy the tuner separately the brand to go for was LG, primarily because they bought Zenith. Zenith did most of the R&D on the ATSC digital OTA broadcast standard that was adopted by the FCC, went broke in the process, and LG bought then out along with all their patents.

Thanks. This is helpful. Antennaweb shows that most of the stations for his area would need a "violet" antenna (large directional). I assume that refers to an outdoor antenna that has to be pointed (in this case toward Philadelphia). Any recommendations for a reasonable/compact option in that category?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemmy /forum/post/18284243


Thanks. This is helpful. Antennaweb shows that most of the stations for his area would need a "violet" antenna (large directional). I assume that refers to an outdoor antenna that has to be pointed (in this case toward Philadelphia). Any recommendations for a reasonable/compact option in that category?

If I were you, I'd first try a good ole set of rabbit ears. If that's not enough then I'd consider my next step carefully to prevent spending too much $$$
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top