AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap way to create a stereo multi-zone set-up. Ideally I'd like 3 zones, but the true multi-zone controller/amplifiers seem very expensive. I'm thinking of backing down to 2 zones and buying a surround receiver with multi-zone capability and just using it in stereo multi-zone mode. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fenster
Ideally I'd like 3 zones, but the true multi-zone controller/amplifiers seem very expensive.
Since you did not include definitions of "expensive" and "cheap", I'll take a stab here...

I have a Sony DA5ES receiver, that is 3-zone. Zone 2 uses RCA jacks out of the receiver (left, right & video). Zone-3 uses speaker jacks; the receiver itself powers the zone-3 speakers -- but to do this, it "robs" 2 of the 6 channels from your main speakers (while the 3rd zone is engaged). You could solve this by hooking up power amplifiers to the pre-outs on the receiver for the mains.

In any event, this works perfect for me. Zone 1 is living room, zone 2 is bedroom (where we can watch DVD, TiVO and VCR since the video is being passed by the Sony receiver). Zone-3 is outside (hot tub), and when it is on, we're not inside using the main stereo, so "robbing" the center channel amp is no biggie.

The receiver can be had for like around $700, if you can still find it -- it has been "replaced" by the Sony DA4ES, which is only a 2-zone receiver. You may also find a good deal on a used DA5ES.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.