AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

Since im currently using a pj, i was hoping to find an inexpensive way of setting up HD thru OTA channels...

Someone is selling an H10 from directv and was wondering if i can use this.

i read (yes i searched) that i have to have

1. the access card (im a directv user, but the upgrade cost is too much for an apartment, have to shell out 600 clams)

2. do i HAVE to have it connected to a dish?

my goal is simple.

1. recieve HD OTA using

2. CHEAP (hehehe, like 100 or less) HD tuner.

3. can use 720p

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was reading in the H20 thread that the receiver could be used as a STB Tuner. Im pretty sure that the H10 can do it too. I am going to purchase the H20 today and test it out my self because I am in need of a tuner.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. someones offering it for 50 clams and was wondering if i can use it. thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back from BestBuy with the H20. I am only intending to use it as a tuner to pick up OTA Channels. Do i need to insert the access card into the receiver or will it work right out of the box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I just bought an H10 off ebay and I can tell you that it will not work without a dish. The problem is that the designers have set it up in such a way so that the H10 will not proceed through the boot process if it cannot access the satellite feed. I have been looking all around the web and I keep finding over and over that OTA-only reception is not possible. I have seen reports of it working without an active subscription, provided that the dish is actually connected. Unfortunately, the only person I know with a dish is using it and is probably not capable of receiving any OTA broadcasts. From what I understand, older models were capable of acting as OTA receivers only, but both the H10 and H20 are designed to make it impossible.

jungle

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not only do you have to use the access card, you have to activate DirecTV service to get OTA signals with at least the H20 and I'm pretty sure with the H10. You shouldn't get anything until you call to activate the service -- I can't remember if you can do this without attaching the dish or not These units can't be used as standalone receivers. $60/year isn't outrageous if you already have DirecTV figuring the cheapest current OTA tuner is 180-200 unless you find a deal on a used Tuner, run the Ebay VOOM crapshoot, or get one of the older DirecTV units.

I've heard people say you can run the H10 with just the Dish attached, but I'm not sure that's true without activating the service first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried using it as a STB for OTA only and it said that service was required. I'm returning my H20 and now looking for a true ATSC/HDTV Tuner or one of the older boxes that works. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Most of the older DirecTV nonDVR boxes should work.

If you trust EBAY and know the proper secret handshake to not get ripped off, some of the old VOOM boxes can make excellent cheap boxes, but hte number of truly functional VOOM units seem to be hard to find and often the folks listing them will claim they work and often they don't.

The old Radio Shack Accurians show up frequently and aren't bad for the money, but they have a couple off quirks including locking up on certain OTA channels whose ID/PSIP aren't perfect and a finicky remote control. I have one and it's OK, but nowhere near as good a tuner as my H20 or the built in tuner of the new Sony S2010 in the family room whose tuner is significantly better than the H20.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow. i just purchased mine. kerap. oh well, thats a great way to bust 50clams. i will though give it a shot. no point in sulking over it though. will give you folks a heads up when i finally recieve the said h10 unit.

@prospect60

reason why i cant upgrade is, i live in an apartment with free directv. the only thing we pay for is the boxes in the rooms, and unfortunately cable guy said i cant get one, unless he upgrades everyone else (which is bs for me, considering everyone i think has their own dish), but then been researching i would also need a new reciever new dish blah blah blah.

in a nutshell, OTA is the only way i can get to feed my pj some true HD.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There's an RCA ATSC11 on ebay presently.It's a stand-alone tuner thats very sensitive and not prone to lock-ups.I have three units,and bought the first one when they came out a few years ago-no problems.They have direct access tuning,a nice program guide,and a DVI and component outputs that will work nicely with almost any display.Originally sold for 399 msrp.Do a search on ebay for ATSC11.Highly recommended!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
darn it. just when i finished purchasing mine. will let you folks know the verdict on my setup once i recieve my h10 unit. hopefully it works. thanks for the recommendation max.

any others? i just hope i didnt blow my 50clams..

·
Registered
20 Posts
it seems like there has got to be some way to hack these things, or make them think they are connected to a sat dish. I have no interest in free DirecTV, but that's what all the hacking i can find is about. I just know that it probably would only involve changing a single jump address in the boot procedure. i'm just not knowledgable enought. :\\

·
Registered
80 Posts
hughes htl-hd. former DirecTV STB, but does not require Access Card to operate. Great as a standalone ~$50-70 on eBay. DVI-D & Component.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks jim, whats the model number? i know linkies to ebay isnt allowed here, so i was hoping that you can pm me if ever..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts