AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched to no avail. I would appreciate ANY INFO ON A CHEAP WAY to

get local OTA HD on a HD ready tv without an internal tuner. What type of cheap STB would YOU RECOMMEND ?

I DID FIND SOMETHING ABOUT A POWERED INDOOR ANTENNA ? I don't want to spend alot and don't want to run wires for the antenna in case I do spend the dough on a DISH HD reciver in the future which according to them will pass the HD locals without an OTA antenna, of course for the 5.95 a month or whatever.

Just want a taste of HD for football games.

Thx for any info.

Bill E.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hughes HTL-HD for OTA HD Box. It's a former DirecTV box but will work as standalone without requiring Access Card and without requiring subscription. Try the Zenith Silver Sensor ZHDTV1 Antenna without a signal booster and see how that works out.

If you are trying to pick up a signal that is 80+ miles away, then try a (pre)amplifier. I personally am using the Motorola Signal Booster, with 15dB amplification and 2dB of noise. Note that using a signal booster might strengthen the signals you get across the board but it may actually screw up the signals too if the broadcasting station is too close.

I've got a CBS station that is about 9 miles away and I get breakup sometimes with the amplifier (without it, I don't get the stutter and macroblocking). It does, however, boost my signals that are originating from 80+ miles away, which coincidently include another CBS station that produces very few video stutter.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Do you have to connect the coax "out to tv" along with the dvi connection from the hughes htl-hd to the tv concurrently? I am considering this for myself and noticed on pg. 31 of the user manual that this is pictured. I don't have a coax in on my tv.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.