AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is even $249 too much to pay for a Panasonic TU-DST50 decoder box? While visiting a Circuit City in Madison, WI, I noticed that they had this box on the floor marked at $299. In asking about it, the sales person informed me that they had only four units remaining, all open-box refurbs with new warranty and would sell them for $50 less. They suggested that I buy one with 30-days to return it if I didn't like it. This early box seems to get only negative reviews in this forum. Comments anyone?....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Buy them all and sell them on Ebay!!!!!! I think they are averaging $700 on Ebay and going as high as $1000. If you want to thank me you can send me one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Only in America.....Don King

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The TU-DST50/51 are the only DTV stb's ever made with FireWire connectivity. The DTV reception performance is not as good as recent stb's, but in the right location, it can work just fine, like mine does.

If you find a Panasonic PV-HD1000 (DVHS VCR), you can record DTV & HDTV from your local stations.

If you can find a Dish 5000 & HD modulator, you can also record HBO & Showtime HDTV.

I would say the $249 price is a great deal. You may find others interested in buying these, for example, on ebay they go for considerable more.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
756 Posts
Easily the best deal I've heard of in HD, including the Unity Motion monitors.

You got FireWire and 720p. Only problem could be the occasional blue "sparkles" @ 1080i when the STB gets very hot.

Don't underestimate the fact it passes through 720p natively. I have found that to be a huge plus with mine.

To be honest, I am shocked that a deal like that even exists.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Allen A,

Call them to place them on hold for you.

Get back there and buy them all.

Get home place two of them on ebay with a Buy it now

price of $650. Those will be sold in 24-48 hours.

This will get you your investment back fast.

With the third one, run a 7 or 10 auction and let the price

run up to what ever you get $700-$900

Now you just made some fast cash for new toys and a free unit to keep.
http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...ty=MetaNewSort

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
For those in the Twin cities.

There are two of these pannys available at local Circuit City stores, Both are displays. One was in Burnsville,

and now I do not even remember where the other was.

You can have them search all locations from one store.

The computer priced them at $299.

You may need to speak with the manager to purchase them as they are display floor models.

They will probably take some more off the price.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Why not just get a HiPix or Hauppage card and use an HTPC?

They probably have a better upgrade path.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
"Why not just get a HiPix or Hauppage card and use an HTPC?"

One word: FireWire

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
14 Posts
I work at a circuit city and just bought one for $100 (no remote or manual). As soon as the remote I ordered comes in, it is going straight to ebay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.