AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just recently got the Sony KDL V5100 40 inch TV and it is stunning...except for the sound.

I immediately got the "audio" drop issues that this tv is known to have, especially with HDMI inputs. This was remedied by purchasing an RCA-3.5mm adapter and hooking up my old PC speakers to the composite audio out, which improves the sound tenfold and eliminates the drop issues.

However, my PC speakers are 10 years old now, and are definitely lacking the quality department (obviously). I am now in the market for a cheap, 2.1 PC speaker setup that is decent and has a volume remote (wired or wireless, but if wired, has a decent length so I don't have to move to the speakers every time I need to adjust the volume).

I am no audiophile (in fact I am pretty hard of hearing so I couldn't be one if I wanted to) so "accurate" sound is not important to me. I don't want to spend more then 30-40 dollars. Again, quality is not that important, I just want to be able to easily access the volume control.

Any recommendations from forum users would be appreciated. Sorry for the super long post.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I'd just keep what you have unless you want to get a full blown sound system. Sometimes "old" speakers sound just as good as the new stuff, especially if they were decent when you bought them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I am getting new speakers due to my subwoofer being completely blown out (get a very muffled garbled sound), and the lack of a remote control. Even though the speakers are shot, they still sound quite a bit better than the tv speakers. With a new set of speakers, I could further increase the quality.

Simply looking for some speaker recommendations, not asking "should I get new speakers?"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Personally, I'd recommend these:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phileAV40.html

Great sounding speakers for enthusiasts for a cheap price, I think they're $140 on amazon but you can find em cheaper on eBay through Buy.com with Bing cashback. They'll plug into your TV with the 3.5mm RCA cable. These things sound really clear, great lows and highs with music. But if you're looking for more booming bass, I think the Z-2300s might be a better choice.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky_7 /forum/post/18207367

Personally, I'd recommend these:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phileAV40.html

Great sounding speakers for enthusiasts for a cheap price, I think they're $140 on amazon but you can find em cheaper on eBay through Buy.com with Bing cashback. They'll plug into your TV with the 3.5mm RCA cable. These things sound really clear, great lows and highs with music. But if you're looking for more booming bass, I think the Z-2300s might be a better choice.

+1 for maudio

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have used the yamaha's hs80's they were pretty good if you have the money, if you dont wanna spend do much, i think any new/used 5 inch speakers would do fine!

there is a big difference between real bass (with or without sub) and the kind of bass that cheap speakers like creative's produce, therefore best would be trying the set if possible.

these $40 speakers may do fine but you'll need a cheap amplifier i think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts