AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing "drive-in" theaters for my neighborhood since last summer--I always just borrowed theInFocus LP425 from work, and it worked fine (700 lumens, DLP, SVGA). But I'm changing jobs, and won't be able to borrow the projector anymore. And I don't want to use my Sony 400Q from my HT, 'cause it's a pain to take down. So I"m looking for a used projector around $1000 JUST for drive-ins. PQ does't have to be great. Here's the projectors I'm thinking about, which I can get for around $1000, if I bargain shop.

InFocus LT400

NEC LT85

NEC LT100

InFocus LT755

Anyone know of any other projectors I should look at. I'd like at least 700 lumens, preferably 1000.

Thanks for any ideas

mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
It'll take 1080i? Are you sure?

I own one of these PJs - I must admit I've never tried an HD source (I'm in Australia, HD is hard to come by down here), but I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it accepting anything except normal TV and computer standards... Will it just sync to 1080i on the RGB input?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
rtyuiop,

WRT whether the Infocus LP435z will take 1080I:

I have been told by a number of people (including Infocus support folks) that it will accept 1080i but not 720P. This may require downloading and installing a software update.

HOWEVER, reading the online manual (on the Infocus web site) does not mention 1080i compatibility.

THEREFORE, I have to put a big caution around my statement that it will take 1080i. I would not believe it until I see it at this point.

I will stand by the claim that it is a good projector for $1000 if you find one in good condition for that price. It has 1000 lumens, XGA DLP, and a zoom lens. Better than the Infocus LP400, which was mentioned as an option by the poster.

I apologize if I have caused any confusion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No probs, I was just feeling lucky there!

Yes, it is a very good projector on a budget. Just about the only problems I can think of: contrast isn't stellar (but what is, for the price?), if you see the rainbow effect is could be a problem, and it does make a fair high pitched whine (not a problem in my case)...

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
But ONLY via the computer input. Not the RCA or svideo. This means you need either an HD receiver with an HD-15 output, or a component output coupled with a component-->VGA breakout cable.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Whats a drive-in theater and how do you set it up? I mean, you do this in your neighbourhood, so where do you do it?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Acegunn,

Actually, I live out near Shueyville--about halfway between IC and CR. I live in a development of about 40 houses--the drive-ins are a huge hit. I've been using an Infocus LP425 that I borrow from work, and it works great. But I'm changing jobs, so now I'll have to get a cheap used projector to do them--otherwise my neighborhood will riot.

mike

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
14 feet wide by about 9 feet high--that way I don't have to worry about the aspect ratio of the movie--I just zoom the film to fill the width of the screen. I made it out of three 5 five foot wide pieces of blackout cloth sewed together. Works really well.

mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.