AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this Talk and Sales of the AE-100, 75u and lt-150 etc etc are good for home theater. They bring more minds, more science, more money, and more products to choose from for all of us!

I know there's concern about the AE and the likes being misleading to new buyers because in all honesty it doesn't measure up to some of the best. But of course, the Geo Metro doesn't measure up to a Lexus either.

This Forum is the greatest place in the world to talk about all this. Those that take the time to find what they want, will get what they want. Sharing the pros and cons of projectors can be very helpful, but obviously can also be misleading sometimes. Everyone has very different Experience, Reference points, Tastes, Motives etc etc etc. Take all projector comparisons with a grain of salt. And, of course, it is always best to view for yourself to see if it meets your needs.

The true power of this forum outside of comparing projectors is to learn ways to learn and maximize what a projector can do. Yes, I bet 98% percent of newbies think hooking to Svideo is the thing to do. Maybe they learned this at Circut City ;) Anyway, if you ask enough questions here all of a sudden your grey matter will start to get a lot bigger. What you learn you'll teach to others and pretty soon more are informed and we all benefit from the evolution to better products etc etc etc.

Most of the projectors in this Digital Forum are projectors designed for business purposes. Because of this, 95% of all projectors talked about here on the forum CAN get a lot better from the sharing of this information. We wouldn't even have a D-ILA club if brave souls and smart people didn't start doing experiments on this projector and make it into one of the most awesome digital projectors for HT out there. Hell, nobody would have even tried the D-ILA at it's initial prices. The same holds true for the LT -150, the AE-100, the 75u and any other cheap business projectors. Of course these projectors aren't for everybody...but with the knowledge share that this forum provides, I bet you can make any of them twice the projector that they are straight out of the box. Capitalize on a projectors strengths, and minimize a projectors weaknesses. I think that's what most of us are trying to do here. Plus it's just good fun to make a cheap product more than it was designed to be.

Some may think all the kudos for the AE-100 are being misleading. ha ha ha ha. The AE-100 and other cheap projectors will do more for HT than all the videophiles in the business ever will. The AE allows easy entry into front projection. I bet 80% of those that get one of these entry units will be hooked to the point that they'll upgrade in a few years to something that the dealers can profit from. They will be the next generation of Videophiles! Sales of all cheap projectors should be supported. I'll do it, an everyone else should too. Plus, I'd much rather tell a newbie to drop $1400 on a projector that will be worthless in 3 years than tell them to go get a $7k projector that will likely be just as obsolete. It's good for everybody. It's evolution, not revolution

Now go out there and get yourself an AE-100 whether you need it or not! ;)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Tryg,

Just one question for my peace of mind. Why AE-100? The only model numbers I've ever seen on the box and any Panasonic offical info said they're either TH-AE100 for the Japanese market and PT-AE100(E) for the rest of the world.

So I usually just call it AE100. Where does this AE-100 come? Please shoot me a few references if possible. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just call it the AE usually :).

We're talking about the same thing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As Shakespeare put it, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.... :p

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Back to topic I am in 100% agreement.... The anolgy to cars is very similar, when someone asks what first car to get the reccomendation is rarely Mercedes S class... even with unlimited wealth it takes time to learn how to handle it... You will make mistakes... It will get scratched up and depreciate...

The way to do this in my opinion is start low and learn, this way you build your knowledge so you spend you money wisely and at the same time enjoy an image that is roughly equal to you understanding (and perception) of the artifacts the image contains...

Sure does that car dealer make much if any money by selling the teenager a reliable but aged car that he took in part exchange... NO !! But if the purchaser is happy and the dealer did not lose on the deal he has just started a relationship with a new driver... We (as drivers) need to make sure that we see the $$ value of a dealer that provides advice / help and service as well as the absolute cheapest deal...

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I agree, buying a projector is like buying a computer in my opinion.

There will always be something better, less expensive and better than the projector and / or PC you purchased months and/or years ago. I'm still trying to debate if I want to purchase a 3000+ plus projector because I might wait till it's discontinued so I can get a better price.

My first and current projector was $1200 from a pawn shop so you can understand why I don't want to pay a certain price.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Tryg:

Well said and I agree completely. DVD would never have gone mainstream if the players still sold for $1000 and the disks for $35. I find it a bit weird, frankly, that folks who are spending $2000 or so for a projector, which would translate into 2-3 times as much when all the accessories including sound system are included, would be described as "cheap". Hardly!

As one of the more active folks here, and the owner of a system that I spend about $22K on, I welcome you "cheap" guys who are breaking new ground in the search for more affordable HT and FPTV. Keep up the good work! We'll all learn from it.

Dan

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
The meek shall inherit the earth :D

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah by the time the bold are done with it :p...

Other good ones include The meek shall inherit the earth... After me... In lowering order of meekness... etc etc etc

Women and Children... Follow me :D!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
This subject and those points are rehashed so much that if the people you are trying to reach still don't "get it" they never will by the means of starting a new thread and arguing the point (again).

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a phenomena I think I've noticed...

There seams to be a $$$/utility point right now somewhere below $2500 where people stop nitpicking every little detail or flaw and sit back and enjoy the show.

I've seen numerous people get on the forum, ask a couple questions, buy an AE and then just go enjoy. I know this may be a frustrating concept for some of you...but everything is gonna be okay ;) This generalized satisfaction is a tell tail sign that there is a price point at which people don't think they need to be videophiles so they literally just plug it in, sit back and enjoy what the projector does.

Does his mean front projection could be entering into the mainstream? I think so. Will there be projectors under $1000 soon? I think this will happen too. I know your thinking... woooo slow down there cowboy. Well, I don't think my predictions are all that out to lunch. Panasonic has already decided to do it! They didn't didn't design the AE to compete with the best. No, they made one that was affordable and that they could still profit from. I suspect others will too. This evolutionary trait is seen in almost all products.

Are these dreaded scavengers of info what the dealers are worried about? Maybe. But don't worry, they'll be back. And when they do they'll have better taste and more $$$.

Bring it on!!! Have you bought your AE yet? fathers day is coming up...

Has anyone else noticed this phenomena of product satisfaction?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am in complete agreement of the original post. I just purchased a new car after looking at all the ones I wanted... I was hoping to purchase a new Mercedes Benz but their entry level c240 was just too much for me to afford. So I purchased a VW Passat... I love this car, its great I can find nothing about it that makes me sorry I purchased it. But if I could have afforded it I would have bought the Mercedes.

Thanks to this forum I learned about Front projectors after longing for a big screen for my home... I could not afford 3,000 - 10,000 dollars or fit that large box in my basement ( let along get it there!!! too large and tooooo heavy) After reading all of the posts here I decided to drop 1400 on the AE100 and I love it. I have it hooked up to a PC, 1.6ghz P4 256meg ram, VisionTek Ecstasy everything and cheap Logitec THX speakers. I built a DIY screen from information I got on the Screen forum. 8 x 4 Masonite with a smooth with finish that I painted Flat universal gray.

I am sure there are much better setups to be found, but I have a awesome home theater setup for very little money that I will enjoy for along time. So my system is not a Mercedes but I feel I did not settle for a inferior system just the best I could afford at this time!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here Here!! I bought a 32" sony wega and 1st dvd player ever a year ago and thought I was tough stuff. A month later after visiting a home show and seeing the home theater area w/projectors, I fell in love the way you do with a model or actress you know you'll never get. Well one day I was searching a certain auction site and for the hell of it checked on the going rate of projectors just to laugh at the outragous price of such a luxury and I saw at that moment my dream was going to be a reality. Two months of research and bidding at the right place at the right time, I obtained a projector. Would you believe the PJ and DIY screen set me back 500 bucks that right $500. Thats way cheaper than my tv was. My friends and family are blown away by my set up and couldnt fathom what I was talking about during the screen construction and teaking phase until movie night. Of corse I already had a pretty kick ass suround system to begin with. Yes my projector is a business projector and Im only using s video, but with the help of this forum theres alot more tricks that I can add to max this PJ out. Even now after owning this setup for six months, when the movie starts and the room rumbles I get a twisted smile on my face and still cant believe this is my hometheater. If someone a year ago would have said this is how youll be watching movies in the near future I wouldnt have believed it. Pjs the only way to go.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sxr71
VW are good cars!

Well, I sort of agree. Have been good mechanically for the most part.

We own an 1998 Jetta and our friend has a 1997 Golf. We have had very good mechanical luck with them (both around 75000-80000 miles). But, both have directional problem - blinks fast (sometimes intermittantly) and NO, it is not the bulb, both have had molding fall off the door (I see alot of these cars missing molding - what idiot decided to put holes in the door for clips and then mount the moulding with cheap glue???), Golf has had the front bumper reflector fall off twice, Golf had exterior door handle fall off once, seats are cheap unsupportive spongy foam, Golf had steering wheel loosen up, (it now makes an odd noise coming from the steering wheel - almost like a plastic scraping sound), etc. Jetta is now at shop with intermittant cold starting problem - first mechanical for us. Besides that, the brakes suck even when it was new, and weak acceleration for the 4 cylinder. Would I buy another VW? Probably not, the Japanese really make better cars.

Dennis :rolleyes:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:
DVD would never have gone mainstream if the players still sold for $1000 and the disks for $35
Well... Here in Belgium new DVD's go for 35 euro... sometimes even more :mad:

Something should be done about that...

What does a DVD in the states cost, anyway?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
As a comparison, in New Zealand the average DVD costs NZ$39 (= about 19 euro). It might be cheaper for you to buy from here :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
new releases about 20.00 , catalog between 8. 00 and 15.00 US.

director cuts and superbits about 20.00 to 35.00 US.

several small stores sell used for about 12.00US.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I Agree...

Projectors like the new NEC series (240/260) and the new sharp, even the TW100 are all at a quality never seen before in that price range.

And for a european user like me (not interested in HDTV as we have none :) XGA or WXGA resolutions are just fine!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.