AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Chinese DVD system produces HD movies from a standard size DVD read by a cheap red laser. The new machines cost only $175. now!

If you go to Circuit City and read cusotmer reviews of HD DVD players, they are great. Then read reviews of Blu-ray players, and they are lousy. This situation should either be resolved by Blu-ray dying a quick death, with an end of all Blu-ray machines and content, and the 100% adoption of HD DVD, or we could all switch to the cost effective Chinese system and save even more money.

The LG combination player is a costly hoax as it is way too expensive and does not decode HD DVD discs fully (no HDi support which means no menu display), so you cannot view indexing and scene selections features. You have to watch the whole movie straight through, according to reports.

Those who say both should prosper are not thinking straight. One format has to die for the other to live. Obviously, the less expensive, better performing format should survive. That means either HD DVD or the Chinese red laser system should survive. There are no reasonable arguments in favor of Blu-ray!

IB

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "fanboy" slur is just a way to avoid the logical argument for one format. If you cannot make a logical argument against my position, then why make a slur and run post? The high definition DVD formats are of interest to front projector people because you need a front projector to really see the difference in picture quality. For small TV sets, it really does not matter.

IB

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/0

The "fanboy" slur is just a way to avoid the logical argument for one format. If you cannot make a logical argument against my position, then why make a slur and run post? The high definition DVD formats are of interest to front projector people because you need a front projector to really see the difference in picture quality. For small TV sets, it really does not matter.

IB

It would be nice if you thought things through a little. The reason HD-DVD and BuRay exist is that HD requires far more capacity for an acceptable picture, remember an HD resolution picture contains 6 times the information than standard DVD resolution. Trying to use a DVD for HD material is simply absurd as you would lose an enormous amount of detail or would have to have it on many standard DVD disks, both of which are unacceptable to the average person.

Blu-Ray is far from dead, current transfers on Blu-Ray are now equalling HD-DVD quality. The only logical way forward in the future is likely to be combining the two formats hence dual format players. Within a couple of years once the chip manufacturers start building chips for it the prices will come down dramatically just as they did with DVD.

Before posting next time, please do some research.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I support HD DVD as the best choice for best performance at a reasonable price. I do not support Blu-ray and I do not support multiple formats, which just add cost in manufacturing players and in manufacturing discs. We have one format for DVD movies. We need one format for high definition DVD movies. Two formats helps no one and costs everyone.

The Chinese solution uses a better compression code and multiple disc layers to achieve full HD. Tests would have to be conducted to determine if the Chinese system looks as good as HD DVD. Right now, I support HD DVD. One system, be it HD DVD or the Chinese system is better than the marketplace mess we have now. Blu-ray players are not selling and the Sony Playstation is not selling well either. It is too expensive! Blu-ray must die! That is how markets become efficient and how consumers get a reasonable price and compatible media with a wide selection of titles.

IB

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:

The "fanboy" slur is just a way to avoid the logical argument for one format. If you cannot make a logical argument against my position, then why make a slur and run post?...

Here is a logical argument: This is a projector forum. We have no less than 5 forums that are specific to HD/BD hardware and software that are loaded with you myopic fanboys from both sides.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Those Red (Preferred color of the communist
) laser Chinese Dvds are really tracking devices by the Chinese Government, for when they initiate World War 3. Honestly, i think its pointless to upgrade at this point, dvds look pretty good, and most of the movies that hollywood are releasing now are total crap. Better to wait it out and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone else, not me, posted a very long thread about how great the new LG dual format player was. I posted here to debunk that previous post, because the new player does not fully decode HD DVD, and the very idea of dual formats is counterproductive.

IB

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I also agree this thread could have been either put in the proper forum or combined with the other thread (which shouldn't have been here either).

This fan-boy stuff has been elevated to a ridiculous level with this format war. The extremest at both ends are way overboard...

BTW... IB,

There are good arguments for BR, as well as HD-DVD. Have you not heard your superior format is going to have almost no studio support (one, maybe two studios) for 2007??? Meanwhile, the format you say needs to die a quick death has just about every studio on-board. I'd say that's one VERY good argument for buying into BR.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
All I know is that the Chinese can SMB!

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:

The new Chinese DVD system produces HD movies from a standard size DVD read by a cheap red laser. The new machines cost only $175. now!

It would take more than just a cheap red laser to bring the costs down as much as they did. Red diode lasers are already cheap! That said, don't be so sure that just becasue it was made in China it is ipso facto poor quality, at one time they used to say that about Japanese components. I can tell you for a certainty China is kicking booty on hi-tech manufacturing infrastructure investments. The place is going bonkers because the goverment can heap a lot of $$$ on them...I mean... after all...they're not dishing out for any superfluous wars are they???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.