AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've experimented using an old white sheet and a projector screen, both inside and outside, and quite enjoyed it. So now I'm contemplating a upgrade.

Here are my requirements:
-Cheap. I'm not looking to spend a ton. I'm tempted by the sub $100 options, but I might be convinced to spend ~ $200.
-Lightweight & Ceiling mounted. We use two different top mounted spots. One is sturdy and can hold plenty of weight, the other is not. I'm guessing 10lbs would be fine. they already exist, and are easy to ignore when not being used.
-Few mounting points - we've had quite acceptable results using a sheet until a slight bit of tension at the 4 corners (and sometimes a 5th point). I don't want 20 mounting points.
-Looking at 120" size, because that's what we've been doing, and in the configurations we've been doing, that has matched the throw of the projector.
-Removable/store-able. It's not a semi-permanent install. Storage space isn't really a concern.
-Projector is close to head on (e.g. a foot or two above and behind viewers' heads)

Options I see:
- The plethora of inexpensive fabric. I'm concerned I wouldn't get an acceptably unwrinkled setup without even tension from lots of points. Not sure about quality. Also worry that gain. Like the price.
- Manual pull down screen. I'm worried these are too heavy. Also, more money.
- Give up on the ceiling mounted, and use an easel or frame based stand.
- Keep using the sheet until I'm convinced to do something more permanent and expensive.

Suggestions? Advice?

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
Many people have made nice DIY screens from blackout cloth you can buy at most fabric stores. Or you can buy a screen made from BOC 100”-120” 16:9 with mounting grommets and a black boarder sewn in on line for around 50 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Are the BOC screens for about $50 the same as the no creasing grommeted screens from a wife variety of companies? (Those seem like made of a stretchable material instead?)

Something like this looks interesting - the minimal frame, black backing, etc...
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Projector-Foldable-Projection-Support/dp/B07RHRVWGM/

And yes, the model b is what I meant by a manual pull down. I appreciate the specific suggestion.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18,113 Posts
Thanks

Are the BOC screens for about $50 the same as the no creasing grommeted screens from a wife variety of companies? (Those seem like made of a stretchable material instead?)

Something like this looks interesting - the minimal frame, black backing, etc...
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Projector-Foldable-Projection-Support/dp/B07RHRVWGM/

And yes, the model b is what I meant by a manual pull down. I appreciate the specific suggestion.

Thoughts?
That Amazon screen looks like a pain to set up and take down all the time. I'd give that a pass myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts