AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Im looking to get the Epson 1080 UB projector to go in my 15x15 room with a throwback at about 13.5 feet. Looking for a 110" diagnol screen.

Im sorta confused about what kinda screens I should be looking at. I really dont want to spend alot of $$$. I watch alot of 1080p blu-rays and play p33 games.

I have a budget around $200.00 for a screen but i can go higher if it means that i will need to take advantage of a 1080p picture. I want the best possible picture for my home theatre..

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Da-Lite Model C, High Power material--if you can mount the projector near seated eye level. If you have to mount the projector at ceiling height, Model C, HC Matte White. Expect to spend about $400 after discount. If this is too much, try Elite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using Elite, its works good for me.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
just like your audio system which is as good as its weakest link, video works the same. No one says you need to spend thousands, but you should invest in a good screen that will carry you to your next projector

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
I know people hate spending more money than they have to, but pairing a good projector with the cheapest screen possible is a little like putting cheap re-treads on an expensive sports car. Good screens ( and the right screen for your specific theater ) makes a bigger difference than you would think!!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
thats exactly right Craig. You dont have to spend a fortune but you shouldnt buy the cheapest thing out there. Most of the time, you get what you pay for

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/14321395

Da-Lite Model C, High Power material--if you can mount the projector near seated eye level. If you have to mount the projector at ceiling height, Model C, HC Matte White. Expect to spend about $400 after discount. If this is too much, try Elite.

Way too conventional in your thinking. Mount the projector near eye level if possible. There may be some keystone distortion. Correct that with the electronics probably in the projector. Trying to not use keystone correction gives a dimmer picture which is less enjoyable. My experience the effect of being "in the cone" is a far more important characteristic for enjoyment than being keystone free. At least try it and decide with the projector which characteristic gives you the most excitement in watching the picture.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmay /forum/post/14404703

Way too conventional in your thinking. Mount the projector near eye level if possible. There may be some keystone distortion. Correct that with the electronics probably in the projector. Trying to not use keystone correction gives a dimmer picture which is less enjoyable. My experience the effect of being "in the cone" is a far more important characteristic for enjoyment than being keystone free. At least try it and decide with the projector which characteristic gives you the most excitement in watching the picture.

The OP states he is looking to get the Epson 1080 UB projector. The 1080 UB has excellent vertical and horizontal lens shift. It does not need, and does not have, keystone correction.

I agree that the HP screen with an eye-level PJ is an excellent choice--my own choice, in fact. Some people, however, cannot tolerate an eye-level PJ, for various reasons (WAF, little ones with curious hands, shadowing when people move about, etc.) That's why I presented a choice of solutions.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Are all High Power screens the same? I can get a Draper 2.8 high power screen for half the price of the Da-Lite. Anyone demoed both screens? Opinions of Draper compared to Da-Lite?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a screen innovations screen purchased through Dell.com and it is great, affordable but VERY high quality. See my Screen inovations ZEN review on this forum. Remember don't buy a cheap screen but DO buy a good screen at a cheap price.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/14400811

thats exactly right Craig. You dont have to spend a fortune but you shouldnt buy the cheapest thing out there. Most of the time, you get what you pay for

Did you check out the link I gave in post #5? You may recognize a name

·
Registered
19,494 Posts
I read that George.

Quote:
Immediately after installing the new Cinema Vision screen, I and my wife noticed that the picture looked washed out. Even when black level was carefully readjusted and color temperature recalibrated, the Cinema Vision screen didn’t reproduce as true and transparent an image as the painted wall! True, the new material decreased hot spotting and color shift to acceptable limits, but there remained some visible graininess contributed by the screen. The worst was that blacks were now gray compared to the paint. Side by side comparison of the Cinema Vision vs Sherwin Williams Luminous White paint very convincingly showed the paint gave a much more realistic, artifact free, and higher contrast image

I much preferred my HCCV screen personally !! And I had both a HCCV and a CV in my old theater ( Cosmoplitan Electrol screens ) so I could see them both at the same time!!

·
Banned
6,051 Posts

Quote:
Are all High Power screens the same? I can get a Draper 2.8 high power screen for half the price of the Da-Lite. Anyone demoed both screens? Opinions of Draper compared to Da-Lite?

they arent the same because although they may have the same specs 2.8 gain, everything about them may be completely different. I would have to look at the specs for the Draper as I dont remember them first hand but you should get samples of each and see which works best with your projector. The Dalite HP is well known and tested by the members of this forum and has a excellent repuation

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I am doing just that with other Draper products compared to the da-lite hp.

Thanks Daniel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/14419756

they arent the same because although they may have the same specs 2.8 gain, everything about them may be completely different. I would have to look at the specs for the Draper as I dont remember them first hand but you should get samples of each and see which works best with your projector. The Dalite HP is well known and tested by the members of this forum and has a excellent repuation

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/14406980

I think the Dalite HP screen is the only one that is retro directive where it bounces the light back to where the light came from. That property seems to be the reason that it does not show the waves in the screen (a major advantage) and does not hot spot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts