AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been absent for a while, and I'm ready to get a cheap pair of speakers to hold me over, until we sell our house, and move into our new one.

I've got a HK 3385 2 channel receiver.

Anyways, I listen to mostly Rock (80%), Country (10%), other (10%). Any suggestions? I'm going to hear the Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 soon, as these look nice, and from reviews, sound nice. I love the look as well.

$250 is stretching it, for the moment, so it must not be any higher. I've read other similar threads, but the OP didn't state much about themselves.

I have lots of MFSL 24k remastered CD's, with a excellent CDP to boot, so I just need a decent pair of speakers.

For those of you unfamiliar with MFSL:

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Thanks for your help!

-Nick

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Infinity Beta 20s are going for $250/pr now.

As for a T-amp, why would you add a low-power, high-distortion amp to a high-power, low-distortion receiver? Put that money toward better speakers. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I love the Tripath amps, but agree with mcnarus. Also they probably sound best with higher sensitivity speakers

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I remember the T-amps being well spoken of, but if you see the last time I posted, it's been many months, and I've forgotten a few things.

I'll trash that idea, and just stick to my HK.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/12924629

Infinity Beta 20s are going for $250/pr now.

As for a T-amp, why would you add a low-power, high-distortion amp to a high-power, low-distortion receiver? Put that money toward better speakers. You won't be sorry.

Where can you get the Beta 20's for $250 a pair? I'm finding them for $199 a piece.

EDIT: Found it.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. I remember the T-amps being well spoken of, but if you see the last time I posted, it's been many months, and I've forgotten a few things.

I don't want to mislead you. T-amps are well spoken of in many places--they're sort of the audiophile flavor du jour these days. I'm suggesting that you should ignore the hype.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/12924956

I don't want to mislead you. T-amps are well spoken of in many places--they're sort of the audiophile flavor du jour these days. I'm suggesting that you should ignore the hype.

Right, I understand.

I know how to assemble a decent righ, however it's been a while, due to health issues, which depleated funds for some time.

I have a $500 CDP, lots of very well mastered CD's, decent PC's/IC's, and soon to be speaker cable.

I do not believe in "hype", however I believe in people's opinions on things of whom I trust.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Used is going to be your best bet. Check craigslist and audiogon for some deals. I got my ELS-3 on craigslist for $250 with the Epos stands which cost $200.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 /forum/post/12930586

Used is going to be your best bet. Check craigslist and audiogon for some deals. I got my ELS-3 on craigslist for $250 with the Epos stands which cost $200.

I'm going to settle on these..

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...item=KEFIQ1WLN

And they're only 15 minutes away from my house. So I'll order online, and pick them up in their warehouse.

This is one of the better deal's I've found..

-Nick

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
16,873 Posts
See if you can find a pair of Boston Acoustics CR67s somewhere. They were being blown out recently as they are being discontinued, so it may be tough to find a pair.

·
Registered
16,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 /forum/post/12930648

I'm going to settle on these..

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...item=KEFIQ1WLN

And they're only 15 minutes away from my house. So I'll order online, and pick them up in their warehouse.

This is one of the better deal's I've found.

AH! I didn't see this post. Welcome to the KEF family! I'd be interested to "hear" your impressions once the "newness" has worn off.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ohh and just in case you can also get a pair of JBL L830 3way bookshelves from jbl direct through ebay for super duper cheap. Just search JBL L830.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My first recommendations at this price level are the bookshelf speakers 1 - Ascend Acoustics and 2 - Axiom Audio, both of which sell direct and have a small discount on B-stocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same amplfier in my living room. I bought a pair of the Cherry Polk R50s from outpost at $55 each and it sounds great. Not only does my wife like the look, but the sound is full and crisp. And, you don't even need a sub!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts