AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using an old Denon receiver for my music listening (I believe this unit was made back in 1988). I am looking for a sub to compliment my 2.0 setup. My speakers are Polk R50's. Nothing out of this world, but I am happy with them.

The speakers carry lows ok, but it's really hurting for a little more down low. This is just for music. I listen to all sorts of music but rarely heavy metal or rap -- nothing like that.

Any suggestions? I got my speakers for $150 so I wouldn't mind keeping the sub in a similar price range.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You can either get a Dayton from PartsExpress , a tSc ASW-8 or ASW-10.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
They should have decent bass. Try moving them closer to the wall for more reinforcement.

I can't see getting any sub worth having for ~$150.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/15580695

They should have decent bass. Try moving them closer to the wall for more reinforcement.

The tSc ASW-10 is honestly not bad for the price I got it for during the tSc sale last November.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am not set right at 150, but I was thinking nothing over $250 or so.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For less than $250, I would also consider the PA-120 ($229) from eBay.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S /forum/post/15580695

I agree with Jesse S. These speakers should provide quite a bit of bass. You are probably going to be very disappointed adding a sub in the price range you are talking about. Save up more money.

Is your receiver an AVR or a 2-channel receiver. If it is an AVR make certain it is configured properly for 2-channel use. If this is a stereo receiver and you are disappointed with the bass performance of movies, be aware that DVD players drop the LFE channel when downmixing 5.1 material to 2.0 for analog output.

If you must get a sub, now, and unless the Denon has pre-outs, or is an AVR with a sub-out, make certain what you get has speaker-level inputs. And you may want it to have high-passed speaker-level outputs as well so that you can high-pass your R50s. Although, with a cheap sub, you may not want to high-pass them. They may very well outperform a cheap sub.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions.

This is my Denon:

http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLU...vc-2000-e.html

I can't check it now since I am away from home but I am almost positive it is set on 2 channel mode.

If a sub in that price range will disappoint then I will wait. I am not unhappy with the sound at all, but I was just figuring if a sub could do me good I would go for it. Kind of an impulse thing.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo /forum/post/15581137

Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions.

This is my Denon:

http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLU...vc-2000-e.html

I can't check it now since I am away from home but I am almost positive it is set on 2 channel mode.

If a sub in that price range will disappoint then I will wait. I am not unhappy with the sound at all, but I was just figuring if a sub could do me good I would go for it. Kind of an impulse thing.

I presume your DVD is connected via a 2-channel analog connection. So, for movies you are not going to get the LFE channel.

Are you trying to get better bass from movies, music, or both? If you buy a sub, it will only be able to augment your L/R channels. You will never get the LFE channel with that receiver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts