AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 640x480 Infocus LP580 with a bad problem with an invert mount when using the Video input. When inverting the picture, the top half of the screen is a frame ahead of the bottom half of the screen. SVGA doesn't have this problem. This appears to be a design flaw.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheap ($100) SVideo to SVGA converter. I'm not very particular about picture quality, but frame tearing is definitely intolerable.

Thanks,

-Ryan.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. You could use the oportunity to go the HTPC route, which would greatly improve your scaling ability as well as giving you a (rather large, but effective) S-Vid -> SVGA converter...

------------------

Darren Rogers

The Eagle

The eagle soars and flies in peace, And casts its shadow wide

Across the land, across the seas, Across the far-flung skies

The foolish think the eagle weak, And easy to bring to heel

The Eagle's wings are silken, But its claws are made of steel

The eagle stands for freedom, May we never let it die

And give thanks for all our blessings, As we watch the eagle fly

- Sidney Sheldon

NEC VT540 & HTPC in my stealth theather

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Are you sure that the problem you are noting is a design issue?

As I understand it, when you invert the picture in order to use a ceiling mount, the picture tears; when you don't invert it, it is OK.

This hardly seems like a design issue.

The 580 has a pretty good (for its age) video processing capability.

I must admit that I have never tried a 580 with image inversion. Does anyone else have any experience with this? leckian?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a design flaw. The Epson ELP-3300 is exactly the same as the Infocus LP580 that I have and the link below is a faq for the Epson. One of the last entries describes exactly what I'm seeing and seems to regard it as normal operation. Note that the tearing only happens with a video input, not SVGA.
http://files.support.epson.com/txt/elp33_/elp33_f1.txt

I notice that the iScan devices would do the SVideo to SVGA conversion that I'm after, but at $350+, it's too much to spend on such an old projector.

-Ryan.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 www.avtoolbox.com/tv-4000.htm may have better result due to XGA resolution vs. VGA. I wonder how this compare to Iscan as price is similar to an used Iscan plus v.1 ($200)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
599 Posts
Since your projector is only 640x480 (VGA), and not 800x600 (SVGA) I would think you want an s-video to VGA converter.

With that in mind, go with a used Iscan V1. I own one, and it outputs a very nice 640x480 progressive signal.

As others have said, I believe they're about $200 used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.