AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a proceed avp2, ps2 combo. Hdmi out to tv, optical out to preamplifier. I know that optical doesn't carry the lossless codes as hdmi does. I paid alot for the avp2 and am not ready to throw it out just yet.

I could buy a receiver and have the hdmi. What am I losing by staying with the optical avp2? Has anybody done direct comparisons of optical vs hdmi with the same equipment?

Basically a preamplifier to match what I have would be 5k. I don't have the money to drop. So if I wanted to go to hdmi it would have to b a receiver with preouts to feed my amp.

Any opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
many people can not really tell the difference between the new lossless codecs and the "lossy" ones carried over optical cable. If you have a great speaker system, set up correctly for 5.1 or 7.1 home theater usage, then you will probably hear an improvement with the HD audio codecs, but not $5,000 worth.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Your processor does not have a multi-channel input? You would get lossless with a player with an MC output. You would lose any DSP processing though.

I think it makes more sense to live with lossy in that case, because it's very good.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No multi channel inputs. I know several of the Onkyo receivers are available with preouts. I just wonder about the general sound quality of a receiver vs a high end preamplifier. Post up if u have an Onkyo and are using the preouts.

I have my subs eqd with an SMS-1 and the room is treated. My avp2 doesn't have audessy or any eq available. That would be another benefit of going with an updated peice of gear.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jeff, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Bryston sp 1.7 I paid over 4gs for and they are not planning an upgrade path they promised.

It does have a 5.1 analog input that I have been using from my HTPC and I thought there was a considerable improvement over the optical on some sound tracks. For me it was the movies with a lot of well recorded music that I could tell. As for the average block buster sound track it’s probably very hard to tell.

For me the analog input created problem and with all the Band-Aids I keep adding to fix issues, my system has become very complicated.

Be sure to post up after a test drive

·
Registered
523 Posts
Why won't the analog inputs you have work?

From the owners manual "Rear Panel Section"

SINGLE-ENDED ANALOG INPUTS 2-5 AND 6-8

These inputs normally accept right-channel and left-channel audio signals from source equipment with single-ended (RCA) outputs. Single-ended au- dio inputs are provided for a total of seven components. Note that the video portion of the signal from any video source (VCR, laserdisc, TV) would be connected on the right side of the rear panel, in the Video Input section. (See below.)

Connect the right-channel and left-channel single-ended outputs of your various source components to the corresponding inputs on the AVP2.

If you have the AVP2 Plus, then inputs 6-8 may be ganged together to form a single, high quality, six-channel input for DVD-Audio or SACD. Sig- nificantly, all of the AVP2's powerful bass management options remain avail- able for this multichannel analog input.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic /forum/post/19572464

Why won't the analog inputs you have work?

From the owners manual "Rear Panel Section"

SINGLE-ENDED ANALOG INPUTS 2-5 AND 6-8

These inputs normally accept right-channel and left-channel audio signals from source equipment with single-ended (RCA) outputs. Single-ended au- dio inputs are provided for a total of seven components. Note that the video portion of the signal from any video source (VCR, laserdisc, TV) would be connected on the right side of the rear panel, in the Video Input section. (See below.)

Connect the right-channel and left-channel single-ended outputs of your various source components to the corresponding inputs on the AVP2.

If you have the AVP2 Plus, then inputs 6-8 may be ganged together to form a single, high quality, six-channel input for DVD-Audio or SACD. Sig- nificantly, all of the AVP2's powerful bass management options remain avail- able for this multichannel analog input.

Id have to have a br player with 5.1 channel outputs. My ps3 only offers hdmi. It also wouldn't leave any room for 7.1 expansion later on.

I got the onkyo 707 running and dts ma sounds amazing. I haven't even ran audessy yet. Alot more detail in the sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings, after much research I'd like to pose a question to your question and perhaps answer/help both of us. Could you use the 5.1 analog of an Oppo 83se. You wouldn't have the obvious benefits of Audessy or expansion areas but you would have the minimal control from the Oppo and still have the beauty of the 2-channel-AVP2.

This is the position I think I want to be in
I have the 83se and an trying to find out if the AVP2 is a viable option, although a bit redundant perhaps given the excellent 2 channel in the Oppo????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts