AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am more of an average-Joe, "got no real money at all" type of HDTV enthusiast.

But I want to at least seriously "try out" 3D and own some titles.

My wife who I have now, over the years, made extremely violent and angry over the topic of home theater probably won't allow me to get much more than a smaller, cheaper 3DTV or monitor.

Plus, I currently have a Pioneer Kuro plasma (the 42 inch, non-Elite from one of its last generations) and am not looking to replace it. So I'd just want a smaller 3D set as supplement in any case. Remember, I am not really an early adopter, high-end type.

So with my Kuro - while I am more of layman who is not spec-savvy - I am an absolute whore for its black levels.

I was looking at the Sony 3D monitor they announced at E3 as a possible entry-point into 3D. See info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339768

I was wondering if this or any other 3D display/TV in the 500 dollar range will have blacks that are sufficiently dark enough - so I am not distracted by how light, blue-tinted, or otherwise flawed they are compared to what I am used to with my Kuro.

And, unfortunately, I think I am prone to such distraction since the Kuro has lovingly raped my eyes for years now.

If the smaller/cheaper sets of this year won't have something kind of near the Kuro contrast ratio - when will such be released?

Will I have to wait years or what is the situation? Any prediction or guess is fine.

(Note: I have not even really looked at other monitors/displays since 2008 and know practically nothing about what's currently on the market, the new black-level technologies that have been released, etc. I just know that people still compliment the "old" Kuro sets.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiable-Akuma
I am more of an average-Joe, "got no real money at all" type of HDTV enthusiast.

But I want to at least seriously "try out" 3D and own some titles.

My wife who I have now, over the years, made extremely violent and angry over the topic of home theater probably won't allow me to get much more than a smaller, cheaper 3DTV or monitor.

Plus, I currently have a Pioneer Kuro plasma (the 42 inch, non-Elite from one of its last generations) and am not looking to replace it. So I'd just want a smaller 3D set as supplement in any case. Remember, I am not really an early adopter, high-end type.

So with my Kuro - while I am more of layman who is not spec-savvy - I am an absolute whore for its black levels.

I was looking at the Sony 3D monitor they announced at E3 as a possible entry-point into 3D. See info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339768

I was wondering if this or any other 3D display/TV in the 500 dollar range will have blacks that are sufficiently dark enough - so I am not distracted by how light, blue-tinted, or otherwise flawed they are compared to what I am used to with my Kuro.

And, unfortunately, I think I am prone to such distraction since the Kuro has lovingly raped my eyes for years now.

If the smaller/cheaper sets of this year won't have something kind of near the Kuro contrast ratio - when will such be released?

Will I have to wait years or what is the situation? Any prediction or guess is fine.

(Note: I have not even really looked at other monitors/displays since 2008 and know practically nothing about what's currently on the market, the new black-level technologies that have been released, etc. I just know that people still compliment the "old" Kuro sets.)
There is no point to a 3d display SMALLER than 42"... unless it's a pc monitor for 3d gaming. You would need to sit 2' away for it to be effective (as you would playing a computer game). I wouldn't want to watch a movie on a small 3d monitor, though.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
For the price you are willing to spend you will get nothing that has blacks like your Kuro does.

Sharp and Pioneer have just announced a 60" Elite LCD which some have nick named the "Kuro Killer" for $6000. See:

http://www.twice.com/article/472001-...CD_TV_Line.php

Since there is so little 3D content available I suggest that you take your wife to a 3D movie every month or two until she decides if she likes it About 2 years from now I expect the 4th generation active 3D TVs and 3rd generation passive 3D TVs to be far better than todays and certainly will cost less. I currently do not have a 3D TV and I may get one in two years when my cable company offers 3D sports programing which they do not do currently.

Also the 3D TV users are saying that for 3D you want the largest screen possible for your viewing distance so you can be imersed in the program.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts