AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading lots of components or our HT. We added a Blu-ray player, a new 52" sharp and am now in the process of upgrading all speakers. When the speakers upgrades are done, it will be time to grab a new AVR (we currently have the TX-SR505s) so we can take advantage of the latest sound formats through out new speakers. What is the CHEAPEST (without giving up tooo much quality) 7.1 AVR that decodes the latest formats, TrueHD, etc? Brand doesnt matter too much though Harmon Kardon and Onkyos will match the rest of our components better (silver). Will need at least (2) component inputs and 2-3 HDMI inputs as well as 2 optical and digital coax inputs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak /forum/post/16955331

I am in the process of upgrading lots of components or our HT. We added a Blu-ray player, a new 52" sharp and am now in the process of upgrading all speakers. When the speakers upgrades are done, it will be time to grab a new AVR (we currently have the TX-SR505s) so we can take advantage of the latest sound formats through out new speakers. What is the CHEAPEST (without giving up tooo much quality) 7.1 AVR that decodes the latest formats, TrueHD, etc? Brand doesnt matter too much though Harmon Kardon and Onkyos will match the rest of our components better (silver). Will need at least (2) component inputs and 2-3 HDMI inputs as well as 2 optical and digital coax inputs. Thanks in advance.

HK 254 or for a little more HK354 from the Harmon Kardon E-Bay store.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can find a Sony STR-DG820 for a really low price if you look around...

I'd recommend the HK 254 (buy from Hardmon Kardan directly on their Ebay store), because it has pre-outs. This will allow you to connect to an external amp, if you ever upgrade to larger, more power hungry speakers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I am REALLY liking the Harmon Kardon HD 254. It is a stunning looking AVR (how can you go wrong with black AND silver), and the addition of Pre-outs will be helpful for future options. I have always liked the HK's but never realized I could actually afford one. I managed to find one refurbished for less than $300. AND, it DOES have an AC outlet... I have been looking for a way to have my bias lighting come on with the rest of the equipment. What is EzSet/EQ, is it similar/comparable to Audyssey?

... I DID look at the 606 and even the 507, the 507 seems harder to find right now. Does anyone know what version of Audyssey the 606 and 507 has on it. I would like a better version of Audyssey in my new AVR, then what is included in my current 505.

As far as the suggested pioneers go, do they not make them in silver anymore, all i have seen lately is black AVR's, correct me if im wrong, same with the sony's as well. I guess i need to stick with Onkyo and HK to keep the color scheme going... And the Denon... little to pricey for me, we will see how they are looking early next year...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing to consider...

Also in the works of upgrading everything is a new shelving unit to hold everything. I will probably build that myself and it will most likely resemble the JSP Jazzy line, therefore temperature of the AVR may come into effect. Does anyone know if the 606 runs cooler than the 505 (or other models for that matter), Onkyo's seem to run hot, I know our 505 sure does. What about the HK 254, can anyone confirm how hot they run? The system is usually on for at least 15-16 hours a day... (what can I say, wife and kids are home all day)...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Just make sure there's enough room above the receiver, and ventilation behind it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm... It seems that the HK 254 may be a little on the weak size as far as power is concerned... Its 7.1 mode only delivers 50 watts per channel and up to 65 watts per channel in stereo mode... My current 505 runs at 75 watts per channel and the 606 is right at 90 watts per channel, that is quite a drop to the HK... decisions, decisions...

The Energy C-100's can take up to 110 watts. With the HK I would only be supplying less than half of that, and once the C-100's are moved to the rear and the C-300 towers are added on the fronts it gets a little worse as they can take up to 125 watts...

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
a quick comment on the H/K spec's.....Harman is VERY conservative on their power rating (unlike others, sadly ! )

And don't rate speakers by the maximum power ratings - rarely, if at all, will you drive a speaker with anywhere near that power. Look at a speakers efficiency at turning the power delivered into sound. Look for the highest "sensitivity" rating on the speakers. A 90 dB sensitivity is much more efficient than an 86 dB rating. There are othe posts from really knowledgable folks on speaker efficiency on this forum if you want to really get into the details.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16955701

hk 254 or for a little more hk354 from the harmon kardon e-bay store.

+10

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak /forum/post/16959358

Hmmm... It seems that the HK 254 may be a little on the weak size as far as power is concerned... Its 7.1 mode only delivers 50 watts per channel and up to 65 watts per channel in stereo mode... My current 505 runs at 75 watts per channel and the 606 is right at 90 watts per channel, that is quite a drop to the HK... decisions, decisions...

The Energy C-100's can take up to 110 watts. With the HK I would only be supplying less than half of that, and once the C-100's are moved to the rear and the C-300 towers are added on the fronts it gets a little worse as they can take up to 125 watts...

I own the C-100 and also the C-300's
and I can tell you that the HK-254 (which I also own) is more than enough power to drive these speakers to very loud levels. Just because HK is honest about the power ratings doesn't mean it's less powerful than the 'highly overrated' pio, denon, yammie etc etc. All these sub $500 receivers will never do more than 50wpc with 7 channels driven so don't worry about it. That's plenty to get things very loud.

Edit: Add a C-C100 into the mix...which I hope you'll also be getting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Edit: Add a C-C100 into the mix...which I hope you'll also be getting.

Close... I went with the C-C50, for space issues and because I picked it up for $79 shipped... It was the first of the upgrades... Next, is the C-100's or C-50's, for mains. Price and availability will help me choose between the two when the funds become available sometime this month... And, then of course the next step is two more, but I can't decide if I will complete the 5.1 package with energy (though my sub is a PSW10) by grabbing two more C-50's or C-100's or go ahead and get the towers to complete the 5.1. In the long run it will end up being 7.1 or 7.2 I just dont know if the towers will be a part of the 5.1 or if they will wait till it expands to 7.1... either way, the AVR will not be purchased until at least the 5.1 is complete, whatever it turns out to be...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak /forum/post/16960102

Close... I went with the C-C50, for space issues and because I picked it up for $79 shipped... It was the first of the upgrades... Next, is the C-100's or C-50's, for mains. Price and availability will help me choose between the two when the funds become available sometime this month... And, then of course the next step is two more, but I can't decide if I will complete the 5.1 package with energy (though my sub is a PSW10) by grabbing two more C-50's or C-100's or go ahead and get the towers to complete the 5.1. In the long run it will end up being 7.1 or 7.2 I just dont know if the towers will be a part of the 5.1 or if they will wait till it expands to 7.1... either way, the AVR will not be purchased until at least the 5.1 is complete, whatever it turns out to be...

The C-C100 was $104 I believe. The C-300's were about $125 each. The C-100's are $119/pair.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak /forum/post/16959358

You'll find that the HK is actually more powerful than any of those you mentioned. At 55W true power it'll blow the socks off most 100W receivers. Too many people diss the HK because of the specs, but they give you true output readings, not imagined as most others do. I have 2 HK AVRs and wouldn't even consider anything else - both bought at e-bay from HK store with full warranties. For the price you can't do better. They have more features than you will most likely ever use including multi-room output with a second remote included as well as an ipod dock. Has an XM connection also, but don't know if it works with Sirius now.

As for the EZSet, it's for tuning your speakers - just set it in your listening area and it calibrates all speakers. You can tweak settings later if desired, but I've never found a reason to since it works very well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/16960217

The C-C100 was $104 I believe. The C-300's were about $125 each. The C-100's are $119/pair.

Yeah, I missed the deal on all the C-Series stuff (except the C-C50). The C-C100 is going for about $130-$150 on eBay right now and the cheapest I have seen the C-100's right now is $129 at Vanns. I can grab the C-C50's for $47 each right now, which is almost swaying me that direction. The C-300's dropped to $114 on Amazon the other day but are now up to $129 for the cheapest, once again at Vanns...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/16960509

$129 for the C-300's is a great price for what you get. The C-100's are $119/pair right now here ...which makes them almost the same price as the C-50's you mention. If you order $199 or more it's free shipping.

Thats right... It's the cherry ones (we want black) that were $129...

So... $94 for 2 C-50's OR $119 for 2 C-100's. Just have to hope the C-100's stay that price the rest of the month...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak /forum/post/16960535

Thats right... It's the cherry ones (we want black) that were $129...

So... $94 for 2 C-50's OR $119 for 2 C-100's. Just have to hope the C-100's stay that price the rest of the month...

I wanted black too but went with cherry. The entire front of the speaker is glossy black and that's most of what you see so it's not bad at all. The cherry sides blend really well with my 'almost entirely' black system anyway. Now that I think about it, I'm kinda glad it's not ALL black.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.