Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've spent so much time trying to learn everything about front projection systems that I've really lost all interest in putting that same amount of effort into the receiver upgrade. :) Seriously. I'm just exhausted and I'm to the point now where the front projection is going on the back burner for awhile or until today's projectors can be had for the same price as 1995's offerings.

After perusing the local receiver offerings at the standard stores, I've reached the conclusion that any AV receiver that will upconvert all incoming video signals to component will be fine with me. I've learned my lesson about being on the cutting edge of technology and it no longer interests me because it costs too damned much and no one in my family besides me would notice, anyway.

The cheapest models I saw all had Dolby Digital EX and dts:Neos-6, so I'm quite happy with that.

So, my requirements for an amplifier are:

1. Component upconversion, not S-video upconversion.

2. As cheap as possible.

3. Covered by a reliable warranty and not stolen.

OpenBox or Refurb items are welcome. I think the only piece of my system that was brand new in the box was the TiVo Series2. Everything else was found at a significant discount given for insignificant reason.

THX certification would be waaaaaay cool and I'd pay an extra $100 or so for it. Two component outputs would be nice since we'll eventually have a projection system and a plasma/big screen to keep the wife happy.

My preferred brands are Denon, Sony, Onkyo, and Yamaha, but as you can tell, I'm not exactly picky. (I used to be when I was in high school, but the days of having the time to pour over every issue of AVR, Video, and Home Theatre Magazine are long gone.) Heck, I'm upgrading a Sony Dolby ProLogic receiver and typing this on an Athlon 800MHz based computer, so you can see how "keep up with the Joneses" I am.

Thanks for the help. I welcome all constructive replies and offers to sell items from individuals and companies.

Jason

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Artisn
For the same price as that Yahama you could get the Denon AVR-2803

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdIm...a/20709018.JPG

For another $100 you could get the Denon AVR-3803.

I would take either one of them over that Yahama.
Good suggestion but I would go with the current generation models 2805 or 3805.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
c'mon there must be some real POS with transcoding, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
did he not say the cheapest? Don't the Denon AVR-1705 and 1905 do up-conversion for much cheaper?

I too am looking at a receiver and the denon's seem to be the only ones that have the 3 component inputs that I require.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. A shopping list of model numbers is exactly what I needed.

I typed a lengthy response last night before the servers went down for maintenance, but I found great deals on refurb Yamaha ($240) and refurb Denon models ($530-$699) through Froogle.

The Onkyo only converts to S-video. However, that did remind me that I know a guy with a BIG "in" with Onkyo, so I'll give him a call later.

The help is very appreciated!

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Yamahas have it on all but the lowest receiver. It is a must for a projector

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by roostacaster
I would try out the Yamaha HTR-5760. 2 component inputs, YPAO, Video Up conversion, 7.1, with all the goodies at a reasonable price...
Unfortunately, the 5760 does not do component upconversion which is essentially the only reason I'll be buying this. Glad I double checked before clicking the button! The 5790 does it, though, but it's $500 so I'd rather get a Denon.

Thanks for the tip about the lip sync, psblake

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
How about the Denon 1905?

Has 3 component video inputs, does upconversion, has multizone capabilities and is only $499 retail.

The Denon 785 is the same thing btw, which is shipping now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You can get amazing deals on the Kenwood Sovereign VR5900 and 5700 receivers -- the 5900 which I have lists for $2650. I bought mine for $699. It is pretty amazing for that price -- has everything you are looking for and more...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:

Originally posted by: LaserGecko

Unfortunately, the 5760 does not do component upconversion which is essentially the only reason I'll be buying this. Glad I double checked before clicking the button! The 5790 does it, though, but it's $500 so I'd rather get a Denon.

Thanks for the tip about the lip sync, psblake

Actually, yes it does. I have seen it do just that function with my own eyes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jblade44
did he not say the cheapest? Don't the Denon AVR-1705 and 1905 do up-conversion for much cheaper?

I too am looking at a receiver and the denon's seem to be the only ones that have the 3 component inputs that I require.
I just bought the Denon AVR-1705 for $500CDN so if you're in the US, you should be able to pick it up for around $300?

It has 3 component inputs and does up-conversion. I'm very happy with it. Although it is a little less power than the old Technics 100watts / channel (1705 is 75 x 6), there is very little distortion at the top end of the volume. Your ears will be very happy. I'm running a 5.1 system with a Panny 50" LCD and the SA8000HD PVR and Panny DVD.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by roostacaster
Quote:

Actually, yes it does. I have seen it do just that function with my own eyes.
That's cool. It must've been one of those "specifications subject to change without notice" because the product literature I saw said it was S-video only.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
sr5500 has up & down transcoding at $599

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.