AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Be careful with cheap lamps. They are often made in China and do not have the same brightness as OEM lamps. For example when I bought my lamp Buy.com sold two lamps for my projector. One was described as "OEM replacement" and the other as "OEM". The OEM replacement was made buy a company in China and the OEM by Mitsubishi who makes the projector I have. The OEM cost about $30 more than the fake lamp but it's worth it to me.

Here's a good article on fake lamps from China sold as OEM replacement. http://fixyourdlp.com/blog/2008/11/2...s-counterfeit/

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. I bought oem for the z2 so I would agree. I think the epson home cinema 720 has that new bulb that is sold even by epson at 200. I think i am jumping ship and heading that direction for my next buy.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Buy a lamp warranty for @ $100 and get two or three lamps over the life of your next PJ and enjoy a better PJ without restricting yourself over the cost of the replacement lamp.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could better understand the lamp warranties. They seem to differ by company and they also seem to receive totally mixed reviews.

PPeople offers a lamp warranty for 3 years but that is against lamp blow out. I have never had a lamp fail. My z2 has had two bulbs, 10k and 5k hours. I left the 10k hour bulb in to purposely blow.

I am so unclear as to which way to go.

Also it would be hard to choke down a $125 lamp warranty, then have to out of pocket the new lamp while a Epson 6100 gets great reviews and has lamps for 199 out the door and rated for 4k hours.

I just want a new PJ. I am totally mind boggled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.