AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys :) I recently purchased a Philips DVP642 divx player, which I was planning to play divx files burned from my computer, as a replacement for my crappy broken DVD player at least until I can afford the next gen HD-DVD players. However, in the month I've had it, I never once used it to play any divx files, I still maintain to play those on my computer. So in conclusion, I decided to return the Philips divx player and get a cheap DVD only player that has better image quality.

I was considering the Philips DVP5900 for awhile, since it has upconversion and it can be generally found under $100. However, after reading about the faroudja chip, and how it's claimed to be the hottest thing out there now to have for DVD players to get, I've decided to get something with the faroudja chip. I'm looking to spend under $150, since if I go a bit above that I might as well go for the Oppo OPDV971H.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I recently got a Denon receiver, if upconversion isn't that neccessarily important (and since I can't afford any of the Denon DVD players that does upconversion, even the lowly 1910), I was wondering if it's better to get an older Denon DVD player that has good image quality.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Sylvania has a under C note a upconvert player with faroudja, do a search here, there almost calling it a Denon clone.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading through that awfully long thread about the Sylvania, it appears that there's no solution to the no DTS issue, so I guess that's out of the question, which leaves me a couple of brands to buy for around $100 bucks:

1. Sony DVP-NS70H

2. Samsung DVD-HD850

3. Philips DVP-5900

I saw on a thread that the Samsung one is supposed to be one of the few upconverting DVD players that upconverts via component instead of HDMI. I have neither a HDMI receiver or a TV, so does that mean I can't use most of the upconverting DVD players out right now (including the Sony, and the Philips)?

And also a quick question, does sound quality vary player to player (music from a CD, or a movie soundtrack)?

Again, thanks for any possible help.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
If your display does not have an HDMI input, then yes, you need one of the few players that upscale over component (like Samsung or Zenith 318) if you want to upscale. Do not (I repeat, do not) get the Oppo since it is only a good player over DVI (it is not a good component player).

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want a player with a Faroudja chip, that can upconvert over component, you have only two options: Samsung DVD-HD941, or Zenith DVB318. They might be a little bit out of your price range, but they're both nice players.

The 941 is Samsung's only player with a Faroudja chip. For upconversion over component, all you need to do is input a simple code with the remote (ANGLE, 4, 3, 2, 7). It's discontinued, and may be hard to find now, but I got mine over the summer from www.c-source.com for $126 (I don't think they carry it anymore).

The 318 is your other option. Originally, upconversion over component was a feature of this player, but all units produced after early 2004 (I think that's when it was) no longer have the ability to. Since it's pretty much impossible to find a two year-old unit, upconversion over component is just a matter of downgrading the firmware (download the file and burn to CD). It's an easy process and is well documented on this board. These are also somewhat difficult to find now, but last I checked, Amazon had them for around $140. Best Buy does as well, but they're about $180.

Try Froogle searches for both and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... that's a shame that most upconverting players requires a HDMI port. Will most of the upcomming nex-gen HD-DVD players do that too?

Also, are there any reviews of these 2 players? I'm wondering how will the sound quality go as far as from either the music CD's I have or DVD movies I run.

Thanks again for the helpful input.

Edit: It turns out that I have a DVI input on my TV (Sony KP-57WV600), but no DVI input/output on my receiver (Denon 3805). Will this allow me to use any upconverting DVD players requiring a DVI connection?

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's MPAA regulation, due to fears of piracy. They don't want ANY HD content being passed over a non-digital connection - they're requiring either HDMI or HDCP-compatible DVI. In fact, once Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players come out, you'll need HDMI/HDCP-DVI for anything other than 480i. Even if you just want progressive scan, you won't be able to use component. This makes almost every TV bought two or more years ago completely obsolete when it comes to watching high def movies.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium
Edit: It turns out that I have a DVI input on my TV (Sony KP-57WV600), but no DVI input/output on my receiver (Denon 3805). Will this allow me to use any upconverting DVD players requiring a DVI connection?
Yes. In that case, you should consider the Oppo. You could run a DVI cable to the display for video, and audio directly from the player to your receiver.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, I may consider it since my friend was in the same position as I am. He had the same Philips player and after read these forums for awhile he ended up with the Oppo. Too bad I'll lose the video switching functions of the receiver though if I use DVI.

On another point, for DVD/CD audio processing, does the DVD player directly send data to the receiver for processing and conversion to sound, or does the DVD player itself do the sound processing then sends that to the receiver? This will help me decide whether to include audio quality of DVD players into my consideration. But I guess I can't expect so much for something under $200.

Again, thank you all for the wonderful help.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
If you use a digital connection for audio (coax or optical), then your receiver does the processing. If you use the analog cables, then the player does the processing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
whens the HD DVD players comming out or the Blue ray. Can anyone go to the CES show or do your have to be a retailer or vendor, is it open to the public, thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the CES show free? I live in Las Vegas so it would be a waste not to go.

I ended up getting a Denon 2910 to test out the DVI connectors. I'm making myself feel better from this expensive purchase by returning all my Monster cables and replacing them with monoprice ones :)

Still though, I'm not sure whether the Denon is worth so much of a jump in cost, as I will probably never going to take advantage of its other features besides being a DVD player. An Oppo OPDV971H may perform equally well for less than half the price. I may just end up returning the Denon and go for the Oppo.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow just read the long 1st post on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=477740 truly one of the most informative thread I've ever read. I guess moral of the story is that one should never spend too much a techy gadget, since after 6 months there's always something better. Keep upgrading with low-mid priced components is the way to go :)

That being said. After some testing with the Denon I probably will return it and get the Oppo, since I still need to save up for the upcomming HD DVD players. No matter how good a player is now it'll soon be obsolete.

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
Quote:
Wow just read the long 1st post on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=477740 truly one of the most informative thread I've ever read. I guess moral of the story is that one should never spend too much a techy gadget, since after 6 months there's always something better. Keep upgrading with low-mid priced components is the way to go :)

That being said. After some testing with the Denon I probably will return it and get the Oppo, since I still need to save up for the upcomming HD DVD players. No matter how good a player is now it'll soon be obsolete.
I took a very different approach. I went with the Denon 3910 since it is a top player that I will enjoy for many years, without the need to upgrade (I do not believe there will be a better upscaling player in 6 months, or even 1 or 2 years). Plus, even after going HD/BR, I will keep the 3910 for the excellent audio. Also, I for one will not be buying an HD player for several years, until the format war is resolved, the bugs have been worked out (the 1st generation of upscaling players were definitely buggy), the players and DVDs have come down in price, and there is a good selection of classic old movies available. Lastly, I bet the new HD/BR players will not perform as well as the better upscaling players when it comes to playing your current 480i DVDs, so if you have an extensive collection of DVDs now, a good upscaling player is a good investment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How can the 3910 have excellent audio if DVD players don't process any audio information when using digital connections, and just sends the data for the receiver to handle the work?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
How can the 3910 have excellent audio if DVD players don't process any audio information when using digital connections, and just sends the data for the receiver to handle the work?
Use the analog audio outputs including SACD and DVD-A. Even Dolby Digital or stereo audio might be preferrable handled by the DVD player.

Chris

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if the DVD player does not handle the sound processing better than the receiver, it's probably best to go for one that doesn't handle them at all, since the receiver will do it anyway and it'll save a couple of bucks?

I wonder at what level of cost do the DVD players start to handle sound better than the receiver can. I predict it to be >$500 :p

Can you use both analog and digital outputs, and switch them depending what uses you have for the player?

·
Registered
15,687 Posts
Solarium, you always have a choice to use the player's audio DACs (using the analog connection) or the receiver's DACs (using coax or optical digital connection). Yes, you can hook both up to your receiver and choose. For high res audio (SACD/DVD-A), you generally have to use the analogs (an exception being DenonLink with the 3910). Which has the better DACs, the player or receiver, obviously depends on the specific player and receiver you own. The 3910 has outstanding audio DACs, and therefore one should use them unless you have a high-end receiver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Samsung HD-841. You can buy one refurb for ~$20 + shipping. Hard to come up with an excuse not to get one at that price point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.