AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the cheapest STB w/ OTA reception and Firewire is?


I know the Sammy SIR-T165 has it but even used on ebay they are going for 400 (and new for 600 i think). I was reaaaaaallly hoping that the LG 3100A would have it... but alas it does not.


On another note, are there any devices which will translate RGB or DVI to firewire? Or is that just dreaming??


The overall goal that i have is to pipe HDTV feeds to my computer via firewire (or any input really) and then encode them into WM9 (many cool posts on that). I already own a LG 3100A even though it didn't have the Firewire just to fool around with. Maybe there is still some way to record to WM9 even w/ the 3100A???


I'm so pissed that more STB's don't have firewire.... is it too expensive or is this more of a "digital copyrights issue".... ughhhhh


w
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wideLoad
Anybody know what the cheapest STB w/ OTA reception and Firewire is?


I know the Sammy SIR-T165 has it but even used on ebay they are going for 400 (and new for 600 i think).
I've got both the Samsung SIR-T165 and the MIT MDR-200. They both work very well to record OTA HD. Timed recordings with both units can be a bit difficult to set up if your local DTV stations don't transmit accurate time info in their PSIP stream. Also, the clock on the MIT MDR-200 operates in 24 hr. mode, so you have to remember to make the necessary adjustments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the OTA reception sensitivity on the MIT MDR-200? Does it compare to the latest generation OTA boxes from Zenith/LG? Or maybe how does it compare with the Sammys (151/160/165)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
wideload:


My MDR-200 works great with my NEC LT240K. But the MDR-200 manual states (on page 19) "Note that the IEEE 1394 interface of the PC related HDD or camcorder is not compatilble with this product." The 1394 ports are actually just for i-link interface.


Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomWhitlow
wideload:


My MDR-200 works great with my NEC LT240K. But the MDR-200 manual states (on page 19) "Note that the IEEE 1394 interface of the PC related HDD or camcorder is not compatilble with this product." The 1394 ports are actually just for i-link interface.


Tom
The MDR-200 can be hooked up to DVHS or to a Mac running VirtualDVHS. I haven't tried the RCA AVHDD. It will not per the manual connect to an external hard drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wideLoad
How is the OTA reception sensitivity on the MIT MDR-200? Does it compare to the latest generation OTA boxes from Zenith/LG? Or maybe how does it compare with the Sammys (151/160/165)?
In my experience, the MDR-200 exhibits increased reception sensitivity compared to the Samsung STBs that I've used (T150 and T165). When I first got mine I only connected one indoor antenna to it, so I kept one of those metal caps over the unused RF input. That unused input was able to tune four of our local digitals (including the two VHS stations) perfectly. Now that I've got two separate indoor antennas connected to it, I get all of the local digital stations without problems. Of course, your mileage may vary.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top