AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all my cds on my computer and ipod as mp3's. What would be the most inexpensive server option where you can select different songs and that would work with most any setup that sends audio to different locations in the house??? thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need to clarify a bit. Want to have mp3 server in head end room and be able to access it through a remote switch on wall that allows me to access any song from any group. So I need recommendation on switch that will allow me to see mp3 info and to select accordingly. Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good luck. I've been looking for something similar and am not aware of many OOTB products that do this. Surely this can be accomplished with custom programming, but that's not a cheap solution.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The cheapest way would be to look at main lobby and music lobby or the new Medio as a front end.

The easiest most reliable way would be very expensive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any clue on what main lobby or music lobby is? brand names, company, etc. ? would be helpful.....also any links....did a search and found nothing...it does not exist thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
MainLobby/MusicLobby are @ http://www.cinemaronline.com

You will still need MediaCenter as the 'server'.

ML3/MuL3 may do away with that requirement.

The 'cheapest' option really depends on what you want to do and what you have already.

The PC option is great if you're that inclined. It can get complicated and unwieldly if not configured properly. That said, I use such a setup.

An easier way would be to go with one of the following:

Look into Request + crestron or amx or Elan or Russound

The maturity, cost and functionality of these systems vary.

Some are single vendor systems vs. multivendor solutions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
give me a clue how to find the htpc forum....none of the forums appear to fit this acronym....thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got musiclobby and mediacenter going, but any clue on how this works from a remote location? Do you use a wireless tabletpc or is there a way to access through touch pad on wall or through IR through tablet or handheld? Any clues would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
It takes alot to really get it going and work properly using multiple locations. Especially if you want to run multiple locations simultaneously.

You need ML server running on the server computer and possibly the host PC's as well.

The tablets can access the music collection on the server using remote desktop. There really is no propiertary "touch pad" that mounts on the wall that is used with this type of system. It really is a DIY type of project.

Cinemaronline also has a user forum that could provide help.

I will say that Mario, the creator of Mainlobby, has provided alot of assistance to get me and others going.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure this is for everyone. I use an old 486 with Linux and 2 250Gig HD's I have MSERV running on the box with three sound cards in it. This gives me three seperate zones/feeds. I use XTEND to recive x10 commands from either tablets or slimline switches on the wall (playlist's volume, next tracks etc). Happy to go into detail if this fits, all in all less than $200 bucks.

-tartag

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can look into the Linksys wireless-B music system. Model number is WMLS11B. All you need is a wireless network in your house - and you can stream all MP3's from your PC.

I don't know how much it costs, but you can get a good price on ebay I'm sure.

Hope this helps.

maneesh

·
Registered
651 Posts
FYI: there's a forum focused on media servers called 'Digital Audio & Photo Servers'

Not to say that there isn't an overlap here, given that you're talking about controlling a media server from different parts of the house.

·
Registered
826 Posts
robocomp,

I see that you're already on cinemar's forum. There's a lot of information there.

In any case, the pertinent part of my configuration is as follows:

Server:

PIV 2.8Ghz, 512Mb Server with lots of storage.

M-Audio FW410 (4 stereo channels)

Media Center running in Multi Zone configuration.

MainLobby Server

USBUIRT, SLinkE.

Clients:

Various LCD touchscreens (ELO w/miniITX PC, ProGear, Fujitsu 1600 etc)

Various OS's

MainLobby/MusicLobby.

2 dual zone distribution amps -> 4 Speaker zones.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanx Midi-guy

I just discovered some software like proximis netremote and an iPAQ h2200 with wifi to run media center server and this would give me remote access to my mp3's in various parts of my house. does this sound like a good way to approach the situation in terms of functionality and cost? Or would it be better to consider dedicated touch panels like the ones you referenced? thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Midi-guy, I am pretty new at this so these may sound dumb, but how is your server set up to run different mp3's to different sources? I know you can configure media center and music lobby so it shows the different sources. But, how do you have your server setup to run different sources? Do you have one set of stereo audio out from your sound card to a distribution amp? This is confusing to me and I would like to set up a similar server. Apparently you are using the M-Audio FW410 (4 stereo channels) to route the different sources? How do you integrate this with other things like tuners, cd, ect? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:
but how is your server set up to run different mp3's to different sources?
The server running MC can play 4 different WMA/mp3 audio streams at the same time.

Audio:

FW410->Wires->Distribution Amp->Wires->Speakers. (X 4)

Control:

Wired Ethernet or Wireless 802.11b

PCs running MusicLobby.

No need for CDs, all music's ripped to hard disk.

One of the amps has a built-in radio tuner.

If you can't run wires to your speaker locations, then your only option will be one of the wireless capable media players

With a NAS, a few of those boxes and powered speakers located in each room, you would be in business.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.