AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on the best place online to buy blank blu-ray discs?

I'm looking for bulk purchases to back up my 50+ and growing collection, and I'd also love a recommendation on what brand to get.

Thanks,

-J

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamesJay /forum/post/18263062

Anyone have any suggestions on the best place online to buy blank blu-ray discs?

I'm looking for bulk purchases to back up my 50+ and growing collection, and I'd also love a recommendation on what brand to get.

Thanks,

-J

Backup to HDD instead. Cost lest per gig, is faster and more secure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, right now I don't have the functionality to be able to stream from my computer to tv's around the house, so physical media is what I would like.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Go here at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...e=CD-DVD-Media

Click on the Advanced Search on the left side.

Choose your type of media, then click search.

Now look in the upper right corner and change "Best Match" to "Most Reviews" to see what others say works.

I don't have a bluray yet, just shop a lot on the Egg.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Newegg has Maxell single Layer (25 GB) 15-Pack for about $45.00. I had good results with them.

For dual Layer BD's (50GB) I'd suggest Ebay. There is a Seller named "Jpstop" who sells them for about $11.00 a piece. (when you buy 15 or more).

Top quality media, I burn them at 8x and never had a failure.

Cheers!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've used Supermediastore for a long time; though I have also bought through Amazon. Here's the thing.. don't worry so much about "cheapest" get something decent quality. Having bad quality (cheap) blank BD is a pita, it's not like blowing a DVD where the cost is less then 30 cents each, a blown BD is like $3 out of your pocket.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I have always bought dvd blanks from www.rima.com and have been pleased.

Don't have a blu ray burner so I've never bought BR blanks.

for dvds I've always been happy with Ridata disks from Ritech.

-Suntan

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick /forum/post/18263152

MAYBE HE Wants to play them on set to boxes around the house?

He ask for a solution to backup is bluray, not a solution to play them on other devices or to share with is friends.

If it is to protect the HDD is cheaper, faster and has more options open.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Around or under $2/disc from meritline.com. Merax 25g 4x BD-R. I bought 20 and have had no issues so far and they've gotten good ratings.

Best I've found. STill waiting on the 50gb to come down. Most of my full movie iso's are over 25gb. But I agree HD are the best current solution.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ok, I picked up some Memorex Blu-Ray Single Layer Disks.

15 for $24.99 at Fry's Electronics.

They will burn at 8X with my LG Burner.

Excellent Deal I think. They will be on Sale there until Tuesday.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
The 3M coating on coating is pretty good. I would think it would be cheaper to replace a broken $20 for a discounted $10 in 12 months, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess I'm confused...if the OP wants to backup his BD collection, doesn't that automatically imply the need for dual-layer BD blanks? I.e, the suggestions for 25GB blanks don't apply. In which case, it becomes much cheaper to back up to HDD. Backing up as .iso's to two independent drives will run about $6 per movie, much cheaper than dual-layer blanks. And, since the HDD copies are for backup purposes, those HDD's don't need to be kept online and therefore no additional PC-related expense is required. In the case of failure of the original physical media, then a single dual-layer blank can be purchased to replace that one lost disk. Seems to me to be much more cost effective...

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_L /forum/post/18319397

I guess I'm confused...if the OP wants to backup his BD collection, doesn't that automatically imply the need for dual-layer BD blanks? I.e, the suggestions for 25GB blanks don't apply. In which case, it becomes much cheaper to back up to HDD. Backing up as .iso's to two independent drives will run about $6 per movie, much cheaper than dual-layer blanks. And, since the HDD copies are for backup purposes, those HDD's don't need to be kept online and therefore no additional PC-related expense is required. In the case of failure of the original physical media, then a single dual-layer blank can be purchased to replace that one lost disk. Seems to me to be much more cost effective...

Expanding upon your points it would be cheaper to do nothing and just replace the retail discs if they ever become damaged and unplayable. It would also take much less time.

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18320009

Expanding upon your points it would be cheaper to do nothing and just replace the retail discs if they ever become damaged and unplayable. It would also take much less time.

+1

Unless they are liimited edition that can go OOP.

Also, you are in no way obligated to let your kids handle them. You won't get sued by the family service because you deprive junior form handling your BR and DVD. Make it clear that those are "Daddy's toys" just like the power tools in the garage.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmyna /forum/post/18320225

+1

Unless they are liimited edition that can go OOP.

Also, you are in no way obligated to let your kids handle them. You won't get sued by the family service because you deprive junior form handling your BR and DVD. Make it clear that those are "Daddy's toys" just like the power tools in the garage.

+2

Even with kids, you shouldn't be losing more of your collection than 10%. And if you do, you need to have a long talk with them.

I had two terrors myself. I had them so trained on how to put disks in and out (only touching the edges) that I think they actually were more careful than me? Problem I had was them putting them away. That was with DVD. Bluray is great. You really almost have to try and scratch those to get a dent in them as their coating is great. I was/am an HD DVD fanatic, but I have been really impressed with the BD protective coating. The pre-owned BDs that I have bought have always looked brand new. Some of the HD DVDs looked like they came from a warzone.

here is an example:

100 Blurays (50 BD25, 50 BD50)

Bluray burner >$160

50 BD25 optical disks = $50 ($1 each)

50 BD50 optical disks = $500 ($10 each)

so optical back up is $710

Hard Drive route

(50X25)+(50x50)= 3750gb

Bluray burner >$160

2TB HDD = $300

10 BD50s to replace the broken 10% = $50 (in 1-2 years)

Total cost: $510

Just buying a replacement disk if it breaks?

10 movies x $13 = $130.

Why $130? Even if you buy the BD now for $20, it will only be $13 at most in 2 years unless it is some kind of rare copy worth alot (in which case you shouldn't let your kids touch it)

Furthermore, this is the legal way to do it. I am not some goodie goodie. I have a server with my movies on it, but I have the originals on my media shelf. Waste of money? perhaps? still illegally? yes. But it isn't as bad as folks who rent a movie/ copy it and keep it for themselves permanently on a server. I do it because I am a confused obsessive compulsive computer tinkerer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There are only a handful of discs that use the entire 50GB, so assuming that every BD50 source disk will consume a full 50GB of hard disk space is way off. I've seen plenty that were in the 35GB range.

Also, there is nothing illegal about making your own backups to a hard disk. The only illegality is in creating and distributing the software to do so. Simple possession of the software is not illegal nor is using it for personal backups - the DMCA explicitly permits cracking copy-prevention for fair-use backups, it just tried to make it technically impossible by restricting distribution of the software required to do the cracking. Fortunately companies like Slysoft found a loop-hole by distributing it offshore outside US jurisdiction.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Would you mind citing the clause that allows this? My understanding is that removing copy protection is illegal at the source and in practice.

The BD50 using 50gb was an example. I am fully aware that many are 35. I find most are in the 35-45 range.

I still stand by the idea that the best most affordable back up protection is to buy a new disk especially with the coating they put on them. I am aware it is because the data layer has to be closer to the surface than DVDs. but it is still much better than DVDs in my opinion in terms of wear and tear.

I think the reason for archiving to HDDs should be for convenience and not a back up model for physical disks. We can both disagree, but that is the great thing about living in a society with free speech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts