AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several places sell it, and they range from $699 to $449. I have an extra dish, my Mom got rid of Dish Network, and still has the dish. I think all I need is a 6000, some cabling and some switches.

Is $449 the cheapest price there is? I want HDTV real bad, and I have the dish, so I thought I would go ahead. There is no OTA HD in my area (Youngstown Ohio) that I know of. Is this my only and cheapest option? Any other ways to get HD in my house?

(I am already a Dish costomer)

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Current Dish customers do not get any deals on upgrading to a Dish 6000. I was in the same position. I had a DishPlayer, and was very unsatisfied by the quality after getting a LT150. The cheapest I could get a 6000 was $600 (you need another dish which is expensive). New customers could get the same thing for $250 (with a year contract). I called Dish to ask why they were not offering incentives for existing customers. I was told these incentives were not theirs, but the distributors (even though the money must go through Dish, and it is Dish hardware being sold). I was not willing to shell out $600 + $130 for OTA card + $100 for an antenna for a system that can't timeshift and may not decode 1080i/720p HD next year. So I cancelled my $45/month Dish subscription and got a $30/month NetFlix which I'm very happy with (the quality is much better than my DishPlayer). I'm willing to wait for a HD PVR at a reasonable cost. I'm also looking for a good deal on a DirectTV HD decoder.

I just got a call from Dish yesterday, asking me why I stopped subscribing. After I asked the person to read why (which they apparently didn't before calling me), they said there was nothing they could to for existing customers.

A frustrated former Dish customer.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I bought my 6000 with both dishes from DishDepot.com. Dish Network very nearly screwed me over on the install, but Mark at DishDepot stepped up to the plate and has fixed the problem. The man knows his job and he does it well. My compliments to him.

I paid $549 + $25 for shipping. Dish Network is sending me one of their own install techs, so that I do not have to use the local installer, who sucks (thanks, Mark). Basic install is covered, but I need to pay for the hookup of the second dish.

Only thing I am uncertain about is will I need to pay extra since the cable needs to be hooked to the outside wall and brought from back to front, THEN inserted through the wall. ???

·
Registered
511 Posts
I share Ross' frustrations re: Dish's treatment of current customers. I've had Dish since it was first offered. Instead of being treated like a valued loyal customer, I'm treated as a second class citizen.

I'm particularly concerned about the proposed Dish / DTV merger. They obviously have a culture that treats customers as cash cows to milk for maximum short-term benefit. Without the competitive discipline of another satellite provider, I believe that it will get MUCH worse in the future.

Regards

BB80301

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I purchased my 6000 from Mark at Dishdepot as well. I was more than satisified with the price and his service. Dish Network service..... that's another story. I'm still trying to get reimbursed from being overcharged on the install.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my Dish 6000 for $449. Do you have two dishes? I would think you could point one dish at 110 or 119 and point the other one at 61.5 or 148 to pick up your HD feeds. If your looking for HBO-HD and SHO-HD you're on the right track. HBO has the most HD programming and SHO has some. It's too bad that you don't have any OTA DT capabilities. In Detroit, I've got 6 local DT stations that look just awesome. CBS by far has the most HD.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
People complain of being treated badly by Dish when they upgrade to HD. In fact, they should have gotten the good deal when they originally got Dish. They seem to think they deserve the good deal a second time when they get HD.

I got Dish originally and paid $79 for the Dish 500, two receivers, and installation. A great deal. When I upgraded to HD I didn't expect a second great deal. I paid $499 for the 6000, $149 for the sw64, $59 for the 2nd dish, and $85 for the install.

Just my opinion.

Rick R

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
$250 for the Dish 6000 setup? Is this offer still going on? Are there any other requirements other than the year contract?

Originally posted by Ross Cutler

Current Dish customers do not get any deals on upgrading to a Dish 6000. I was in the same position. I had a DishPlayer, and was very unsatisfied by the quality after getting a LT150. The cheapest I could get a 6000 was $600 (you need another dish which is expensive). New customers could get the same thing for $250 (with a year contract).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a 6000 system with two dishes and a sw-21 dish for $339 from satellitedepot. They sold me a direct TV dish for the HD satellite. This was without professional installation. They said they were forced by Dish Network to add this after my purchase and pushed the price to $499. The installation could not be easier. The receiver makes it simple. Many years ago I installed some big dishes. I had a small 12 inch TV I carried to the dish. This time I hauled a 20 inch set to my roof. All you need do is install the mount so the post is vertical. Buy a small level, check tighten and recheck. Input your zip code. Set the dish angles and sweep for satellites. The unit acquires the signal and sets itself up. You can fine tune the aim and tighten all bolts. I have helped friends set up Direct TV units in the last few years and have never been impressed with the picture or ergonomics. I am stunned by the quality of the 6000. The RF remote works. The sound is wonderful although I have found only a few movies in full Dolby 5.1. I have my local antenna set up and am waiting for my 8vsb module. The dish for the HD satellite is a Direct TV dish. Apparently the LNBs and of course dishes are interchangeable. You should be able to find and use any old dish for the HD bird. The switch and type of LNB on the main dish should be selected based on the number of receivers you expect.

The only amusing thing is that no where in the literature was there a mention of the second West Coast HD bird being at 148. Everything in the manuals specified the 61 bird.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What's a current customer? Currently I have Dish for foreign channels only (pointed at 61.5). I called Dish network and they said that I could get the $9 a month offer for America's Top 100, even with my current setup. I'm wondering if it is possible for me to also get the Dish 6000 for $250 price that was mentioned by someone earlier. I agree with the service of Dish network being subpar, when I had my system first installed I had to threaten to cut off my service in order for the installer to come back do the installation correctly.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Still wondering if the $250 new subscriber deal that Ross Cutler posted is still available??

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Does anyone know if there is indeed a deal going on with Dish that new subscribers can get the Dish 6000 for $250 as was posted above?:confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ross Cutler
The cheapest I could get a 6000 was $600 (you need another dish which is expensive). New customers could get the same thing for $250 (with a year contract).
I seriously would like to know if anyone was able to get the $250 deal for the Dish 6000. I called a couple dish installers, and they said $600, even for new customers. If anyone was able to get this deal, please tell me where.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well, I assume at this point that the $250 deal is bogus. It's unfortunate that Ross Cutler would bring this up, but not comment further on it.

If anyone else knows of a similar deal, please post WITH DETAILS

:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.