AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a media streamer for my parents, so the requirements are quite simple -

- does not need to have advanced features such as network/wifi/bluray/iso

- does need to playback most content including h264, realmedia, wmv, which I guess they all do?

- does not need internal hard disk, but would be nice

- online content such as youtube/hulu etc is nice but not a must (they don't have broadband)

- Must have a nice UI, easy to use - by nice UI I mean at least more than filenames

- Price must be

·
Registered
81 Posts
WDTV1 (gen2 this is important) or WDTV Live is the best option for this.. It probably has the best Interface of all the players. (default ones)

·
Registered
483 Posts
From Western Digital, only the Mini supports RMVB, and it doesn't have HDMI. Also it will only play WMV9 video. The WDTV Live and the WDTV HD Gen 2 do not support RMVB, but do have HDMI. And again, only WMV9.

The GUI on all of these is easy enough to understand that, with just a little bit of teaching, my 5 year old grand daughter can use it. I have all of my grand kids videos on a WD My Passport 160GB hard drive and they use it all the time.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the WDTV Live at Bestbuy tonight. It was easy to setup and I watched a few movies, but I also had problems -

- multichannel aac audio did not work

- flv did not work

- I was not able to get it working with windows 7 over the network

Only the 1st one is a serious issue as I have a bunch of movies with aac. Googling around I see this is a known issue. I would also have liked it to stream from the DLNA server in Windows but it did not see any files.

Other than that I thought the UI is very pleasing and simple to navigate. it even picked up folder jpg's for some movies and I can now add more. The remote is really tiny (a bit too much) but I have no complaints.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts