Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

which shop/dealer offers the best price for plasma displays ? The shop/dealer must ship internationally since I live in Germany. I am esp. interested in Panasonic (the 50" is about 10.500$ so if you know anything below 10000$ please tell me immidiately), Toshiba (similar to panasonic), Samsung and Fujitsu. I want to buy a recent model and not one of the old ones. I know that these outdated models (eg the pionner 502) are sold quite cheaply. If anyone knows a cheap source outside the US (in Asia or Europe) I would like to know that, too. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Stefan Lorenz

·
Registered
588 Posts
You would have to be very brave to buy outside your home country, for at least four reasons I can think of:

- you are unlikely to have any warranty coverage at all from buying outside your local distribution area. If this plasma breaks, you have few options except buying another. And when they break, the repair cost is often close to the replacement cost.

- difficulty and cost in insured international shipping. There have been tons of posts where people have had plasma's broken in shipping just inside the US. International air shipping would be much more expensive and probably still subject to some risk. If you send it by sea, you will be waiting months for it.

- the possibility of import taxes or duties upon arrival would erase some of your savings.

- although plasma's generally support multiple video standards I've seen a number of plasma's which are voltage specific to the country they are designed for, hence you may also need a voltage stepup transformer. Panasonic is one vendor that appears to ship different power options per country if you compare US and UK Web pages on their products.

I won't even get started on the standards compliance issues, but I bet they only provide certifications in the US for FCC etc and Europe expects BEAB, EN and IEC certs.

By the time you look at all those issues, you should compare the prices more closely and try to buy somewhere closer to Germany.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Hi,

Most plasmas (I emphasize most because I know of one plasma that doesn't have this) are fully global in terms of video systems.

I've yet to see a plasma that does not support 100-230V (which covers all world areas, as far as I know).

Email me - I know of at least one good US vendor that ships overseas.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree - the video systems are global. I imagine this will change as the volume ramps up and they look to cut costs for the US/Japanese markets.

You definitely need to watch the power specs however as it varies on different models. Some vendors make all their products worldwide voltages i.e. Pioneer and Fujitsu.

Others do not always do this. If you compare the Panasonic or NEC specs in different countries on similar models, they are different voltage requirements.

It may be the same unit with different marketing literature, or they may actually provide it with a different power supply, even though it may appear to be the same product.

e.g.

Plasmapeople.com says the Panasonic TH-50PHD3U and TH-42PWD4UY are 120 VAC, 50/60 Hz

The NEC PDF for the 50MP1 also states 120v 50/60hz.

UK sites for similar models specify 230v power.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hi Stephan

As a UK dealer I find it rather ironic that you are looking to purchase outside of Germany. All Panasonic stock for Europe is now warehoused in Germany - when I put in my orders with Broadcast and Professional in the UK my stock now takes around three days to arrive as it is shipped from Germany. I would have thought you should therefore get the best pricing at home!

I have sold a few units into Europe recently so maybe pricing is not so competitive elsewhere as it is in the UK. Check out our site; who knows we may be competitive - we might even beat your $10,500 target. :)

Just for everyone else's info the manufacturers warranty is fine across Europe and if anyone is contemplating the Pioneer PDP-503HDE plasma TV its tuner will work anywhere in Europe including its Teletext functions.

Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
UK have some very good prices at the moment I have seen the 50" poineer for 6695 pounds ( www.hiwayhifi.com ) and that is cheaper as you can get it shipped from the US not even concidering the TAX and import duty you will have the pay. Shipment damage is also a very real possibility.

Have a look around. I have looked for 5 minutes on the internet and came up with the above price. I am sure you can do beter then that maybe even in Germany as in general you have the best prices in europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.