AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90% of my media watching will be viewing mkv rips or netflix streams through my MediaPortal set up. However, I'm sure there will be occasions where I have a Blu Ray that I want to watch directly from the disk. I'm just wondering what the cheapest way to do this is. I know I can pay $80-$100 on TMT5 or other equivalent software, but it seems a little foolish to pay that much money for something I won't be using very often. Also, I don't care about 3D or any of that stuff, so some of those new features that they're charging a premium for are things I couldn't care less about.

What's the best solution here?

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
You don't mention if you have a blu-ray player in your HTPC but if you do and also have AnyDVD software (to remove the AACS) then you could use a free player like MPC-HomeCinema. If you don't have the required stuff then the cheapest way is to just buy a stand alone cheap blu-ray player that go on sale occasionally for around $50-60.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a BluRay drive in my HTPC. I could purchase anydvd, but since I'm ripping everything to mkv I was going to purchase the licensed copy of MakeMKV and forego AnyDVD (since AnyDVD is another $120 by itself).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, the only problem with makemkv is that you must rip the disc to remove AACS. If you had anydvd, it would sit in the background and just remove AACS as the disc plays. No need to rip it first. The only reason I brought up anydvd was because you said you wanted to play the disc without ripping it first.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGalt /forum/post/19560486

Do you need anyDVD to play BluRays through TMT5? I'm assuming no, in which case that would be a cheaper option than buying AnyDVD, right?

You are correct. TMT5 is a licensed player (so is PowerDVD and WinDVD), so there is no need to remove AACS therefore no need for anydvd.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm back to the same question...which one of the licensed players are cheapest but offer a decent level of quality? I understand that I'm going to have to buy something (maybe I should have been cleared, by "cheapest" I didn't mean free), but I want to minimize the cost.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Can you copy your blu-ray disc encrypted to your hdd and play them from your PC using TMT5, PDVD, WinDVD, or MPC-HC?

When do you really need anydvd-hd?

I'm struggling on what blu-ray burner to get and which software I really need. The LG WH10LS30K and the Pioneer BDR-206 look like the two best options for burners. The LG comes with PowerDVD 9 on newegg on sale but there are a large number of complaints with the LG and the PDVD software when it comes to blu-ray.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.