AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a projector that is an upgrade in every category from the BenQ W1070 except for the price. I am willing to extend my budget to ~$1800. I have been trying to discover this for a while now, but it seems as though I have only been able to discover ones with trade offs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking for a projector that is an upgrade in every category from the BenQ W1070 except for the price. I am willing to extend my budget to ~$1800. I have been trying to discover this for a while now, but it seems as though I have only been able to discover ones with trade offs.
Or I guess, what would you have to spend in order to upgrade in all aspects over the BenQ W1070? What are some models?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The Benq is about $800. If you're gonna stretch your budget there are a lot of choices.
You may want to include a list of wants for upgrade.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
In every category? I guess the cheapest option would be the likes of Sim2 Nero 3D, street price $15k and up. Seriously.

Define aspects of image that matter to you the most.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The HW40ES from Sony is the next step up I would consider. It offers better overall image quality. Similar in many regards because the W1070 is already excellent in many areas that even the aforementioned Sim2 models won't actually upgrade on.

But, the Sony will have a better lens, better mechanics, greater placement flexibility, far quieter, far better black levels, similar response times (for gaming), should deliver better overall color...

But not by much on most things. The big areas where it will improve upon the W1070 are noise level and black level. If you don't need the added placement flexibility, then that won't matter, but the Sony having a better lens should deliver a sharper image across the entire screen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys.

I guess what I meant by every category is:

Better in every way than the BenQ W1070.

For under $1800

Like for example, there not being a trade off, other than price of course.

So...if I upgraded, it would have better black levels, better contrast, better latency, better brightness, more lumens, better color, etc etc etc.

I just feel like there has to be a projector out there for under $1800 that is better in all of the above mentioned categories.

Sorry, I am trying to be as clear as I can. Not sure of another way to word it.

Better in every aspect, no trade offs, none of the...it depends what you prefer. Just better in all categories than the BenQ W1070. As in, no reason to drop to the BenQ W1070. As in, none of the "however the BenQ does better at this".

Just better at everything. Except for the price.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible?

I know you have to give a little bit at the price.

But can you achieve upgrades at everything over the BenQ W1070? Not have to give a little to get a little?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
The HW40ES from Sony is the next step up I would consider.
It is not as bright as the W1070, so it is not an upgrade in every category.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
It is not as bright as the W1070, so it is not an upgrade in every category.
Not only that, it will be less sharp, have more motion blur, have worse 3D (cross-talk).
I guess what I meant by every category is:

Better in every way than the BenQ W1070.

For under $1800
None.
Is it possible?
Unfortunately, it is not. Like everywhere else, you have to pick your poison. There are drawbacks to every improvement. If you want better everything, the cost would be a drawback in your case.

Please, answer these questions:
1) Will you be playing a lot of games on your projector?
2) Will you need 3D?
3) Are you repulsed by the black level of W1070? Do you want a significant improvement in this regard?
4) Are you noticing motion blur on your projector, are you bothered by it?
5) Do you sometimes wish your projector was sharper or are you satisfied by it in this regard?

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
It is next to impossible to find a brighter projector than the w1070 that beats its black-level and contrast.
Likewise, the w1070's input lag, motion resolution, and 3D cross-talk is about as perfect as they come..so you'll only be able to match, but not noticeably beat it there.
Its color-accuracy (even when bright) is also at quite a high level (even right out of the box), so don't expect large improvement there either.

As already mentioned, there is a whole other level of black+contrast possible at around $1800-2000 and another one past that around $3000-3500(with more trade-offs than the $1800-2000 spot)..and the Benq isn't particularly quiet or flexible for mounting.

The cheapest place for better black-levels and contrast is the ~$1600 Panasonic ae8000, but it will lose some motion resolution and suffers slower input speed.
The Sony hw40 is the next cheapest option at around $2000, while also being one of the only options that can compete with the w1070 for input lag.
The Sony is fast, quiet, clear, bright accurate and contrast-y.
The Benq still beats it by a small amount for motion-clarity, but that's something you HAVE to trade-off until 2chip in-line dlps become a consumer product.

Currently, nothing LED nor lamp-based can match DLP motion-handling, and no DLP can significantly beat the w1070's native contrast.
The Sony is a very close match for motion, lag and brightness, a modest improvement for color-accuracy, and a large improvement for blacks/contrast, noise and flexibility.
Nothing else really gets this close or better in all areas for anywhere near the price..but the hw40 is about $200 above your earlier mentioned budget.

It's also worth mentioning that no projector will significantly beat the w1070's blacks/contrast unless they're being used in a dark and fairly dark-colored room..lights hitting the screen or light-colored walls/ceiling greatly reduce black/contrast depth.
Same thing for the noise..if your room isn't quiet, the quieter projector helps nothing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The BenQ W1070 imho has really thrown a wrench in the projector world because it just shouldn't be that good at the price it is.

a $2000 projector should be roughly twice as good as a $1000 projector, well at least signficantly better, but it just doesn't work like that with the 1070

There are projectors which cost 3 times as much which are only slightly better

I've seen demos of projectors from 3 grand to 7 grand and i could barely see any different to my 1070

The only one thing i would like improved on my 1070 is the detail in dark scenes, so contrast ratio

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The BenQ W1070 imho has really thrown a wrench in the projector world because it just shouldn't be that good at the price it is.

a $2000 projector should be roughly twice as good as a $1000 projector, well at least signficantly better, but it just doesn't work like that with the 1070

There are projectors which cost 3 times as much which are only slightly better

I've seen demos of projectors from 3 grand to 7 grand and i could barely see any different to my 1070

The only one thing i would like improved on my 1070 is the detail in dark scenes, so contrast ratio
Exactly. Right now it's, IMO and others, the best sub $1K projector that meets or exceed almost every consumer request. Unless the OP is just disgusted by its performance, I would hold onto it until the other models come down in price. Either that, or just fork over the dough for a higher end unit.

I ran into this issue while trying to decided which projector to buy. In the end my budget could not be stretched and I have to admit that the W1070 has been a great buy for me.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Wait until the w1070 4K version comes out, then upgrade.

I think Cedia this year is supposed to have some new 4K consumer DLP chips, isn't it? If so, it could be fairly quick to get a true upgrade to the w1070 minus the spending 2-3x the amount. Or maybe even. I mean, my projector at 4K with deeper blacks? I'd pay 2 grand for that. I just don't see it as a good buy to get anything else until 4K projectors are affordable. Projectors are the one display type where 4K makes a huge difference. I can't imagine that a 4K version of the w1070 wouldn't also have better blacks too. Plus be able to show 1080p / 120hz 3D for gaming. The extra pixel density of upscaled 4K would still benefit the image anyway, even for 1080p material.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a great discussion that answers a lot of questions. Thanks guys.

The BenQ 1075 actually has significantly worse input lag times as I have read on the internet. So that is a down grade.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In Australia the 1075 is called the 1070+

It's really considered a very minor upgrade with the wireless features if you need that but otherwise very very similar

·
Registered
13,395 Posts
The Sharp 30K is one of the best 3D DLP's to have been released under 10k. Less RBE due to higher color wheel speed, full automatic lens controls, and better 3D because it uses IR for the glasses vs DLP link which hurts contrast in 3D mode. It also has better native contrast and an iris that is not obtrusive.

Sharp 30K > 1070, W7000 or W7500. They were selling for $1799 2 years ago on woot but are difficult to find these days. Original MSRP was 5K+.

The 17K gives up the lens shift and auto lens features but still uses IR for 3D which will be an improvement over the 1070's DLP link. One of these was for sale on ebay recently.

·
Banned
1,191 Posts
This is a great discussion that answers a lot of questions. Thanks guys.

The BenQ 1075 actually has significantly worse input lag times as I have read on the internet. So that is a down grade.
I wasn't suggesting it was an upgrade, or any kind of grade at all. This was just a side bar question on my part, since I heard that the 1075 is the updated version of the 1070, which will eventually be retired. Looks like no one knows if this is true or not.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts