AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Dish Network currently, but I am thinking of switching to DirecTV. What is the cheapest way I can switch?

I am not talking about the equipment, I am pretty sure I can find a good deal on a DTC-100 with the oval dish. My question is what is the cheapest monthly fee I will have to pay to get HDnet. HBO-HD and SHO-HD would be nice as well (I know some people on this forum get them without subscribing to the respective SD packages), but they are not that important. I just want HDnet and OTA mainly.

The reason I don't care about any of the other channels is that until there is a better option for broadband, we are stuck with our cable company. We can't get the cable modem service without paying for the basic cable package, which is more than enough SD viewing for me.

I know there used to be the DirecTV Limited and HBO a-la-carte packages, but from what I have read here, those packages are no longer available. Is there anyway I can get HDnet without paying ~$35/month? Someone here mentioned ordering NFL Sunday Ticket, does anyone know if that still works?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I would be shocked if they wouldnt add the HDTV line to your account if you subbed to the NFL-ST package. Thats one thing unlike most else that they must sell ala carte (or at least I havent heard otherwise if thats changed). Now I know that doesnt mean they'd necessarily have to add the HDTV line but they did to mine. Well in fact last fall when I got the HD receiver and transferred my NFL-ST to that receiver, HDNet just automatically came on even before there was an HDTV line. The line was actually added all by itself around October.. at the same HBO HD started coming through all by itself. Which also has diappeared over the last day or 2, coincidentally.

I also had them add the Showtime HD line the day after it debuted so I'm getting that channel now too, without a sub to Showtime. Though I'm not sure if they "cured" that the last few days or not for guys calling in now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got off the phone with a DirecTV rep, and she told me that they no longer offer Sunday Ticket without a regular subscription. So it seems to me that the only option for someone like me who only wants HDnet and nothing else, is to pay $31.99. I have heard great things about HDnet, but I can't fathom paying $32/month for it. My only other option which would be somewhat cost effective would be to sign up for DirecPC or whatever they are calling their internet service, and then to cancel the cable service altogether. It would still end up being more expensive than what I 've got now, plus I'd have to shell out a few bucks ($100 I think) for the satellite modem.

It sounds to me like the elimination of the Limited and a-la-carte packages will end up forcing people like me to get an emulation system just to get one HD channel. I don't think I will go that route for moral reasons, but I want HDnet without paying an arm and a leg to get it!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the HBO a-la-carte is available any longer. To get HBO, or NFL Sunday Ticket, or any DirecTV programming, you must sign up for a minimum $31.99 DirecTV package.

Those of you who have any of these (HBO a-la-carte, NFL ST, or DirecTV Limited), you have a great deal, but if you ever want to make any change to your programming, it is likely you will not be able to do so without paying for the $31.99 package.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have HBO ala carte and was recently able to add Showtime-HD for no charge w/o having to upgrade to a total choice package.

I'm still paying $12/month for the sub (+$4.99 for the extra receiver) and I have all of the HBO's, Sundance, Sho-HD, HDNET, a few other freebie channels sprinkled in. Oh, I got the Sat C kit for free (+$8.08 S/H) as well.

You just have to get the right rep that will bend the rules a bit.

Now, for a total new subscriber, I doubt they will do much for you. To be honest, HDNET doesn't have enough programming that I would actually pay for the channel. It's nice whenever the Blues or Cards are on, or the occasional NBC replay (Derby, Olympics, NBA, etc) but other than that the programming is pretty bland. It's basically turned into my demo channel when someone comes over to see the setup.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say if I would want to pay for it, but I doubt I would. However, it has to be much better than the Dish Network HD demo channel. Also, since I don't get NBC HD OTA here yet, I would have loved to have gotten that Lakers gave a couple months back, and of course the olympics. I don't think I would mind paying the $8/month for DirecTV Limited just to get it, and I definitely would like to get the HBO a-la-carte to get HBO-HD and HDnet. But $32/month just to get HDnet is ridiculous, and then I'd have to pay an extra $13/month for HBO-HD? Forget about it. DirecTV will need to try harder if they want to get my money.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Hi folks,

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've been doing some hunting on Directv's website. I found the PhoenixTV a la carte "package" for $19.99 a month. As it requires an 18x24 dish, would this work to get HDNet for less than the $31.99 mentioned in the posts above? :)

Best regards,

~~Nathan

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the first I am hearing of this package. Can anyone confirm that this package exists, and does anyone know exactly which channels are included? Does anyone currently have this package?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
PhoenixTv is a single channel of Chinese programming available as previously mentioned for 19.99 a month ala carte. Dont know why they wouldnt activate the HDTV line on you account as well if you asked so as to be able to see HDNet if you were using an HD receiver.

Course I still think the NFL Package can be subbed to without any other programming regardless of what any particular CSR might say though I cant prove it since I'm already a sub.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love for that to be true. Maybe I will try my luck again with yet another CSR. I will post here again to let you all know what they say.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well I just called and asked that if I bought a system for my bro for his b-day and who would without question want nothing but the NFL-ST if they would activate it, the gal after a few minutes on hold told me that yes, they do that for the NFL Package.

I realize none of this is here nor there until you actually have a receiver in hand and are ready to activate it. Understandably it wouldnt be too slick if you dropped the few hundred first, and then couldnt get someone to sub it. I never really had that risk because the first year I subbed to the NFL Package all by itself, it was just on a 49.00 receiver. I later simply switched my account to an HD receiver. That was right after HDNet debuted and I've been getting it ever since.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I talked to a CSR yesterday who told me the same thing. I hope this doesn't change in the next couple of months, because I still have about 2 months left on my Dish Network contract. I'm looking forward to getting HDnet, and it looks like this is the only way for me to go. Of course with my luck, they will probably change their policy on this right before I am ready to sign up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've heard that if you call Direct TV and ask for "the cheapest package that I can get PPVs with" they'll hook you up for $8 a month and you'll get HDNet with that.

Has anyone tried this and had it work recently?

I don't have my receiver yet, but I didn't want to get my hopes up if this was completely dead.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The package you are referring to is called DirecTV Limited, which was $7.99/month for a small number of channels, including HDnet. Unfortunately, they no longer offer that package.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
actually a rather well-informed sounding kid at best buy the other day told me they're discontinuing the availability of the 32.00 package for new subscribers. apparently, if you live in an area served by directv for locals, you have to get the locals, and thust the 38.00 package at the very least. not to mention the mirroring fee if you have more than one receiver, and the upgrade costs if you want an elliptical dish instead of the 18". ::sigh::

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, this looks to be the best deal I could get out of DirectTV in order to see HDNet (the best deal that is unless you want their regular programming).

Get the Sunday ticket--NOW. It's like $137 When you order it, tell them to make sure they activate 199 (they'll also activate 376--NASA--and some other channels). DON'T cancel when the football season is up. You'll automatically be reupped the next year (but I don't think they'll charge you until football season the following year--I'm not sure on this). As long as you don't cancel the Sunday ticket, you'll get HDNet (even when it isn't football season). So $137 sounds like a lot, but it's about $11 a month. Plus, you can cancel without penalty before Sept 8 (first game of the season). Pheonix channel will also work but it's $20 a month, so this is better. It was all I could get out of 3 CSRs and 2 supervisors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.