AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dont worry walking tall here...

When I can blow my friends away, and have spent less on my HTPC / Davis PJ / Screen than they have on thier Direct view TV only... I am not ashamed...

LATWTTB

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Haven't checked the forum in a week or so, and Wow. I haven't read any of the threads you are aluding to, but this might lift your spirits a little, Bob.

That Mitsubishi monitor you got, well I just found out that my brother got one for free. I told him what a find he had made. Can't wait to see it with the HiPix I gave my nephew.

Take heart. Thrift still reigns in the hearts of many.

I am not even jealous. I just want a good deal on one too. :

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Has anyone heard when they gonna open up that "Digital Projectors - Under $500 USD" forum?

·
Registered
728 Posts
And there is always a "Free Projector Foundation" forum. Rather than make a few hundred bucks off of my old Epson, I gave it away to a friend, in exchange for a promise that she too would give it back or give it away when she moved up.

A bunch of us met at her house last night for our weekly "Buffy/Angel" viewathon.

Yes, the shadow details weren't as good as I'm now used to, and there was definite staircasing, and the screendoor would let in sizable horseflys, but it didn't matter, we had a blast, ate chocolate moose and squirrel cake, and cringed appropriately at the final shocking green-tinged "Buffy" scene.

BTW, I've been in this hobby, on and off for a _long_ time. I remember selling and servicing the original home projector, the Advent Videobeam, nearly 30 years ago. It's WOW factor back then was enormous- and so was it's $2500 price tag- about four month's salary for me. FWIW; the optic system used was unique- no lenses. It used parabolic mirrors _inside_ the "CRT"s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hallelujah! Well said!

Some people has anxienties if they haven't spent certain $$$$ on their projector(s).

Some simply fall victims of sales/marketing people (read: BOSE in audio products):D

Some are too rich to give a damn.

I'd use a more proper term "best-buy" projectors, rather than "cheap", 'cause lotsa things are overvalued nowadays.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes. I give away my old audio and video gear to friends and family. Spread the love of music. As for loving video..I'm personally not sure about that one. I love to watch movies, don't get me wrong... but music is another part of your brain/existence altogether. I might give away my Marquee CRT PJ to a family member or friend soon.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Bob, thank you for putting things in perspective. Too many have become upset over the relegation of their possesion to a different area. It's a piece of equipment and has no realtion to our worth as human beings.

Me, I spend a lot on some items and on others buy as cheap as I can and tweak em!

I'm proud to belong to the BOC (Brotherhood of Cheapness)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm betting we cheapos actually enjoy our HTs more than the deeppocketers. The more you spend, the more you expect PERFECTION, which doesn't exist. When you buy something dirt cheap, most of the time you're just happy if it works!! It's all about expectations.

mike

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I could not bear to pay as much as $5000 for a projector even if it were magnificient, that is just too much money.

That is my opinion. The WAF still thinks that $1900 was too much for my Infocus!

Bob

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Here here too!

I consider myself to be Ms. Clark Howard.

For those of you who don't know Clark Howard, he is a famous consumer advisor.
www.clarkhoward.com

He is also a very frugal millionaire but a cost conscience person.

I'm not a millionaire but I'm cost conscience.

I wouldn't trade my sheetrock screen for a Stewart.

Also, I couldn't pay $5000 for a projector, I could but why.

It's just like buying the fastest computer available, there will always be something coming out better, faster and less expensive that will be eventually better.

Here's anothe thing.

When I first got bit by the home theater bug, I wanted real theater seats instead of couches or leather seats.

I wanted cloth or velour seats.

Well, I had finally dedicded on seats from http://www.irwinseating.com/chairpag...upictslice.jpg

I could get the seats that I wanted for around $425 each.

This is a good price but when you want 8 - 12 seats it's murder.

Estimated $3200 - $4800 total cost.

After thinking about how often the 8-12 seats would be used versus me watching a movie with a friend or alone, I couldn't justify the extra cost.

I ending up getting these seats for $20 x 8 = $160 and $10 x 4 = $40.
http://myhometheater.tripod.com/seat3.jpg

Total for 12 seats from Regal Cinemas $200.

I would rather put that kind of money on speakers, the receiver and DVDs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm torn,

Even though I own a D-ila, I don't belong in the rich people's forum. (I only paid $4000)

I consider putting together a world class theater on a budget as a badge of honor. Any idiot can write a check for $30,000 and have a theater installed for them, but putting together an even better one yourself for 1/4 of the cost takes skill.

Paying $17,000 for a single chip DLP is a mark of shame.

Its more fun to wallow with the cheapskates.

Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.