AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Heh heh heh... yet another home theater buff discovers one of the few great bargains in the world of HDTV. It may look like a microwave rack propped up on end, but it works like a charm, doesn't it?

------------------
Sc>cc>oc>tc>tc> Gc>ac>mc>mc>ac>nc>sc>
Visit the Scooterplex
Let's hear it for Enterprise on HDNet!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are you in a flat area? It doesn't work in San Francisco. I only get ABC (KGO) with it.

------------------

Michael Tchong

Editor, Prosumer Ezine

·
Registered
787 Posts
dont forget the pre amp.

Inline signal amp,also from the rat shack. (Model 15-1170)
Model 15-1170 $24.95

Without it I can't get anything. I also suggest that you try placing the antenna outside. Even on the window sill it will work much better than indoors. I have mine on top of an ac!

K

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
I hung mine on the inside wall of the garage. Picks up all 5 (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/UPN) digital stations from 20 miles away. And none are full power yet. Best $18 value out there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, that Radio Shack Double Bow Tie ($18.00) sure made my smile broaden as the availability of OTA/HD programing came into my Toshiba DST3000/56H80. I never watched cable again. Too good to belive, simply fantastic picture quality.

On September 11, 2001 I along with all the other forum members in the New York tri-state area lost our signals when the WTC towers fell. It has been reported that it will be maybe up to two years before we enjoy those OTA digital feeds from another source. New Jersey might be the home of the new location.

The loss of my OTA feeds can not replace my feelings as to the technicians who lost there lives while working on the upper floors on that day. My thoughts and prayers go to all on that infamous day. This high definition toy that I have will one day again enjoy those OTA digital feeds again. But I will never forget what I took for granted as a visual experience hobby, and replace it in a mila-second, for that day to have never have happened. God Bless America!

------------------
Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Prosumer.tv:
Are you in a flat area? It doesn't work in San Francisco. I only get ABC (KGO) with it.

I'm in San Francisco, and the RS bow-tie usually works great. Sometime it varies by time of day, with the fog bank, or maybe they're playing around on the tower.

Lately I've been picking up every channel no problem, plus channel 12 (11-1&2) in San Jose.

The bow-tie doesn't even face the tower direction (got a building & hilltop in the way). It did take awhile to figure out where to put it though - indoor antenna placement is just a whole lot of trial & error... seems like voodo sometimes. I also have a passive "tuneable" loop & V antenna to switch to as a last resort, but it requires lots of fiddlin' for different channels.

------------------

..Rick

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do not suggest using the Radio Shack cartridge UHF preamp. It is very unstable, easily overloaded, and can actually go into oscillation.

If you hook up a good-quality Winegard or Channel Master preamp, your results may be even better.

For a review of three UHF preamps - including the Radio Shack unit - go to www.projectorexpert.com.

KC

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone tried mounting the RS Double-Bowtie outdoors? Do you think it would hold up to the weather? I get 100% signal strength on all the channels with the RS, but I need to string 50Feet of cable across the room to point the darn thing towards the window. The antenna didnt work on top of my TV due to the direction of the towers, and the location of my townhouse. So I want to mount it outside....is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kelvin,

I've decided that all that gear will clutter my HD setup. I'm going to get an outdoor antenna and will make a separate post on those requirements.

Speaking to my antenna installers suggests a solution won't be simple.

------------------

Michael Tchong

Editor, Prosumer Ezine

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ive got 2 of these bad boys, both mounted outside. One on top of my ac feeding a hipix card and another outside sitting on the roof of the building next to me.

I see some rusting here and there, but big whoop. 18 bucks wont buy you a lapdance anymore here in nyc so whaddyagonnado?

As for the lousy rat shack preamp.. ok its not nasa quality, but again for 29 bucks (it was 25 when I bought it) I cant complain. B4 sept 11, i recd evey channel in the nyc area with no dropouts.

I hate to quote an extremely bad movie, but in entrapment, the code to get into the "vault" was, dont use a cannon to swat a fly, or some crap like that. Im sure the channelmaster and the terk are very nice, but you'll have a hard time finding a brick and mortar source for them. At least I havent been able to. The beauty of the rat shack is that they are everywhere. Try their preamp, try the bowtie, if it no worky, then take it back. The morons at rs cant spell hdtv but they sure know how to do a return.

When it comes to ota issues, take whatever you read online with a grain of salt. Even those antenna selctors. I forget which slice of the pie i fell into, I think it was something like medium range non directional antenna or some crap. But the whole point is that you will gain more by trying than just reading alone. After all the info I garnered online, I was all set to order a huge ass antenna and pre amp from starkelectronic , but figured Id try some local action first at rs. The ghetto setup worked for me, ymmv.

For those of you having problems with the bowtie, clip the long 300ohm leads and you'll save yourself some grief. The long leads can cause interferance and exacerbate any multipath issues. Clip em and leave around 4 inches or so to attatch the matchin balun transformer. (again available at your friendly neighborhood rat shack)

Clipping the leads might alleviate some of the voodoo in placement. B4 I clipped em, i actually spent more time futzing around with the position of that stinkin wire than actual aiming of the bowtie.

K

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the wrong transformer - so I ended up wedging the ends of the transformer under the metal straps on the antenna. Since I knew I was going to mount the antenna in the crawlspace above the garage, I got a long cable and took the antenna out into the garage, and with the receiver on the signal level mode (close enough to hear), put the antenna on my car and starting turning it. Beep .... beep .... beep ....

beepbeepbeepbeepbeep - went back in and saw I was getting 97/98%. Now all I need to do is run a dedicated line up there and move it vertically into the crawlspace.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After spending way too much money on one of those high-tech indoor-outdoor HDTV antennas and getting mediocre results, I decided to try the RS Double Bow. I was amazed to see such an improvement, consistently 90-95 with no pre amp.

I have the thing sitting on the floor behind my set. Actually, it is "hiding" behind my set. It ain't too pretty. But hey, I learned once again that beauty is only skin deep!

Now I use the "high-tech" antenna as a potential defense against intruders. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
PLease tell me what model and model number antennae. Radioshack.com doesn't display it. Also what amplifiers you are using. I am using a Tosh DST-3000 with DirecTV and $250 worth of antennaes for two channels here in FL. The townhouse balcony is in the right direction, but still have not found an antennae worth the trouble. The set I have is Tosh 61H70 soon to be replaced by 57H81. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M_tondreo

PLease tell me what model and model number antennae. Radioshack.com doesn't display it.
I've seen the model number written either as 15-623 or as 150-0623. The former is shown at RadioShack.com, and I think the latter is used in the store.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A couple of questions:

1) Will the bowtie only get the UHF (i.e. > 13) HDTV channels?

2) Since the bowtie has a 300 ohm wire, can it be combined with a 75 ohm cable from a pair of rabbit ears? I've seen an adapter that combines the two. I'm guessing it's for combining VHF/UHF antennas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bow-tie option sounds great but I'm about 35 miles from the transmitters. Am I correct that this rig probably won't work at that distance?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.