AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Hey that looks great! It seems to have a really nice feel to the place and i bet it would be a really relaxing place to sit and watch a movie. Well done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Amazing use of a small space,tv area looks very nice and cozy,perfect for date nights,lol. For the new receiver i'd go with Pioneer or Onkyo of the four choices always buy the best receiver you can afford and build the system around that, my personal fav is Denon. Perfect choice of tv for the brand,plasma and the size is perfect for the space any bigger would be way too big. Great start all the best too you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
Nice, I agree with the above posters. Love the tv, perfect choice. Enjoy!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Wow, now that's a small room! As adventurous and creative as I am, I don't know that I would have even tried to go for surround sound in that spot, kudos to you! How do you like that Panasonic plasma? I was looking at that particular model recently. You've done a lot of nice things with the space, looks very cozy and comfortable. As for receiver, I say Onkyo, but I'm biased, and a sucker for THX and four ohm speakers.
I would have had to spend 2X+ as much money to get that in any of the other brands.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert /forum/post/15550580


Wow, now that's a small room! As adventurous and creative as I am, I don't know that I would have even tried to go for surround sound in that spot, kudos to you! How do you like that Panasonic plasma? I was looking at that particular model recently. You've done a lot of nice things with the space, looks very cozy and comfortable. As for receiver, I say Onkyo, but I'm biased, and a sucker for THX and four ohm speakers.
I would have had to spend 2X+ as much money to get that in any of the other brands.

I love the plasma, so much better than the LCD's I looked at. I can't wait for the thin Panny Neo plasmas to come out in May. I'm still having an issue with my surround placement. Dipoles are supposed to go on the side and not the rear, but as you can see I dont have much space to put them on stands next to the couch on the sides. I was going to fly them above on the ceiling but there are too many factors keeping me from doing that. I may have to buy some old super zeros and mount them on the rear ceiling.



I was looking at the new Marantz SR5003 what do you think? I like the new styling, illuminated remote, superior sound quality, and price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR50...owAll=N&tp=179


Question about THX - do I need THX certified speakers to get the benefit of a THX receiver?


Oh yeah and the APT is small because a small one bedroom in Hollywood is going for $2,200 a month these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master /forum/post/15551713


I love the plasma, so much better than the LCD's I looked at. I can't wait for the thin Panny Neo plasmas to come out in May. I'm still having an issue with my surround placement. Dipoles are supposed to go on the side and not the rear, but as you can see I dont have much space to put them on stands next to the couch on the sides. I was going to fly them above on the ceiling but there are too many factors keeping me from doing that. I may have to buy some old super zeros and mount them on the rear ceiling.



I was looking at the new Marantz SR5003 what do you think? I like the new styling, illuminated remote, superior sound quality, and price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR50...owAll=N&tp=179


Question about THX - do I need THX certified speakers to get the benefit of a THX receiver?


Oh yeah and the APT is small because a small one bedroom in Hollywood is going for $2,200 a month these days.

Go to http://www.thx.com/ ,You , me and the average working class person don't have the space or money to have a true THX certified home theater,maybe will get lucky one day till then the dream is a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master /forum/post/15551713


...


I was looking at the new Marantz SR5003 what do you think? I like the new styling, illuminated remote, superior sound quality, and price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR50...owAll=N&tp=179


Question about THX - do I need THX certified speakers to get the benefit of a THX receiver?


Oh yeah and the APT is small because a small one bedroom in Hollywood is going for $2,200 a month these days.

That looks like a nice receiver. It's a bit expensive for my tastes, but I'm frugal.
I'm sure it can probably be found for much cheaper than the Crutchfield price - most things can. You absolutely do not need a THX speaker system to take advantage of the benefits provided by a THX receiver. It can't hurt - but it's more that using a THX receiver with a THX speaker array is more of a plug-and-play setup, vs some tweaking or experimentation that might be needed when using a non-THX speaker array.


$2200 a month for a one bedroom apartment is outrageous, but I guess that's Hollywood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 /forum/post/15586072


Try this one out it's much better overall and 50 bucks cheaper and made in japan not china. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV23...CI.html?tp=179

The only difference is that the Marantz sr5003 has pre-outs and the denon doesn't. I could of swore that the marantz sr6003 was being sold for around the same price on amazon a few weeks ago? Might want to see if sr5003 or 6003 will go back on sale?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlvr33 /forum/post/15586072


Try this one out it's much better overall and 50 bucks cheaper and made in japan not china. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV23...CI.html?tp=179

I don't know why people like the brand Denon. I don't see anything special about them. The receiver designs look very 90's, the remote control is ugly, and from what I hear they are a pain to set up. On top of that they are overpriced like Yamaha. Does it matter where its made?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master /forum/post/15588621


I don't know why people like the brand Denon. I don't see anything special about them. The receiver designs look very 90's, the remote control is ugly, and from what I hear they are a pain to set up. On top of that they are overpriced like Yamaha. Does it matter where its made?

Overpriced like Yamaha? Yamahas are hardly overpriced. If you look at what they offer in regards to feature set wise, in relation to price point with competing manufacturers, you will see they offer a lot more, for a lot less.


Also, aesthetics are not what drive prices on consumer electronics. I suggest you do a little research as to what does in fact drive prices, as in the world of electronics, you get what you pay for (to an extent).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Needs Fruit, haha.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne /forum/post/15596258


Needs Fruit, haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/15589109


Overpriced like Yamaha? Yamahas are hardly overpriced. If you look at what they offer in regards to feature set wise, in relation to price point with competing manufacturers, you will see they offer a lot more, for a lot less.


Also, aesthetics are not what drive prices on consumer electronics. I suggest you do a little research as to what does in fact drive prices, as in the world of electronics, you get what you pay for (to an extent).

What do you think about the new pioneers? $500 VSX-1019AH

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Video Master, it's nice to see that somebody else owns the BDI Concours stand. I have the cherry finish. Did you use the spacers that came with the TV mounting kit? Because your TV looks more flush with the backboard than my TV.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w /forum/post/15680643


Video Master, it's nice to see that somebody else owns the BDI Concours stand. I have the cherry finish. Did you use the spacers that came with the TV mounting kit? Because your TV looks more flush with the backboard than my TV.

I chose to not use the spacers and I only have the top bracket mounted. I'm not sure why you even need the spacers. The bottom got in the way of the back wire panel on my plasma and it would take some serious metal cutting to get in there with it mounted. Please post some pics of your BDI Concours. They def make the best tv cabinets.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top