1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
From his blog

http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html

Quote:
ZA14W08...

Well it looks like you can see what I've been up to for the last 6 months. My new driver is available at Madisound. Eventually I'll post an email address and answer questions about it. There are some kit designs which will be posted, one of which is an MMTMM. They are actually done, we just need to work out some logistics. Look for a driver design writeup eventually.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Looks like a shot straight across the bow of Dayton. And if it were me I'd take this Zaph woofer. Solid performance in all areas. The straight cone pushed the breakup up, and associated distortion, but I wonder if off axis response suffers? Still at $40 I'd take this over the competition.

The only problem I have is that this doesn't push the envelope. It's solid performance for a very reasonable price for sure. But show me the $100 driver that beats Scanspeak and 18 Sound at the same time. That's a driver I'd buy!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16952396

Looks like a shot straight across the bow of Dayton. And if it were me I'd take this Zaph woofer. Solid performance in all areas. The straight cone pushed the breakup up, and associated distortion, but I wonder if off axis response suffers? Still at $40 I'd take this over the competition.

The only problem I have is that this doesn't push the envelope. It's solid performance for a very reasonable price for sure. But show me the $100 driver that beats Scanspeak and 18 Sound at the same time. That's a driver I'd buy!

I think most have heard I was not totally satisfied with my Dayton's (and to have one fail so soon). I would look at this one for an entry point in a snap. At $40, all I expect is reasonable trade-offs for reasonable applications. Not magic. Not only that, I would bet he works out a good crossover design pretty quick.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Wow, he pushed that breakup way up there for a metal dome. It's high enough up there to be used with cheap dome tweeters needing a high XO point, or ribbons. Heh, high enough that CTC spacing becomes more problematic than cone breakup

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16952396

I agree, it doesn't seem to break any new ground, other than the enviously low HD plots.

Given its parentage, I wonder how similar it will sound to the RS drivers.

-Still, its a nice initial offering from one of our own DIY'ers. Kudos John,
and good luck in your endeavors.

C

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/16955739

Wow, he pushed that breakup way up there for a metal dome. It's high enough up there to be used with cheap dome tweeters needing a high XO point, or ribbons. Heh, high enough that CTC spacing becomes more problematic than cone breakup

The 5th harmonic is showing a peak at 1.8K so I still wouldn't want to push it too high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts