AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone who is more knowledgeable about our 3d ready sets start a post where we can go for updates of future products which become available such as bueray players and glasses and other info concerning these sets.thank you.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Basically, we're waiting on Mits to release their converter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for info i emailed samsung got no reply.just would like to use the 3d side of this tv.seems information is pretty sparse when it comes to blueray and playstation 3 working with these sets.thanks again

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would think texas instruments would be getting into supporting their checkerboard dlp format with some kind of converter or blueray player

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for info i emailed samsung got no reply.just would like to use the 3d side of this tv.seems information is pretty sparse when it comes to blueray and playstation 3 working with these sets.thanks again

Samsung didn't announce a converter box for 3D BD. There is an opinion that the Mits converter box will work on the Samsungs because they use the same tech. Won't know if that is the case until the box arrives and people get a chance to test it on a Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby /forum/post/18234075

you would think texas instruments would be getting into supporting their checkerboard dlp format with some kind of converter or blueray player

They probably feel it is the responsibility of the TV manufacturer to support their own TV when it comes to attaching a 3D BD player. They invented the DLP tech and they also invented the DLP Link 3D tech to go with it.

TI is a semiconductor designer/manufacturer.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Since Samsung stopped all manufacturing of DLP HDTVs over a year ago I do not think they are going to now offer any new features or attachments to them. IMHO the adapter that Mits plans to offer to convert 3D BR player ouutput to checkerboad format should work fine on the Samsungs since they both accepted exactly the same input from any PC sending them checkerboard content. We will just have to wait till someone tries it to find out for sure.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18234350

Since Samsung stopped all manufacturing of DLP HDTVs over a year ago I do not think they are going to now offer any new features or attachments to them. IMHO the adapter that Mits plans to offer to convert 3D BR player ouutput to checkerboad format should work fine on the Samsungs since they both accepted exactly the same input from any PC sending them checkerboard content. We will just have to wait till someone tries it to find out for sure.

you would think samsung would at least offer something for us who believed they would support their 3d ready dlps with at least blue ray player which would support their checkerboard format.it remains to be seen if they do or not.if not why would i support them with my next tv or blue ray or cell phone or washer purchase?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby /forum/post/18234722

you would think samsung would at least offer something for us who believed they would support their 3d ready dlps with at least blue ray player which would support their checkerboard format.it remains to be seen if they do or not.if not why would i support them with my next tv or blue ray or cell phone or washer purchase?

When you bought your Samsung HDTV, what was the driving factor?

Was it that is was 3D Ready? Or was it that you wanted a large screen 1080P HDTV that was priced at a point you were willing to pay?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/18234855

When you bought your Samsung HDTV, what was the driving factor?

Was it that is was 3D Ready? Or was it that you wanted a large screen 1080P HDTV that was priced at a point you were willing to pay?

driving point was it was 3d ready saw samsung promotion about these sets doing 3d which was reason for purchase.gave my other dlp to my boy which still works excellent and bought 3d ready one.i always purchased samsung products.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby /forum/post/18235862

driving point was it was 3d ready saw samsung promotion about these sets doing 3d which was reason for purchase.gave my other dlp to my boy which still works excellent and bought 3d ready one.i always purchased samsung products.

So how much 3D have you been watching on your Sam. HDTV? You can do that today right?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still waiting for the blue ray players etc. to materialize. havent used it at all for 3d.everyone kept saying wait until samsung comes out with more support like a blue ray player or playstation comes out with their upgrade and glasses will work with more products.boy did that turn out to be wrong.anyways i bought the set with hopes of a lot more support.fool me once shame on you fool me twice you know the rest.i will just turn to a manufacturer who will be loyal to there customers.the longer i owned this set it seems the less support samsung has provided.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
More than likely it'll work, just wait for Mits to release their converter. I seriously doubt Mits will only make their converter work for their own displays, when they'll have potential customers from Samsung owners. That just wouldn't make any business sense in the least.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/18238416

More than likely it'll work, just wait for Mits to release their converter. I seriously doubt Mits will only make their converter work for their own displays, when they'll have potential customers from Samsung owners. That just wouldn't make any business sense in the least.

it would be interesting to know how many 3d ready dlps from samsung and mitz are out there.there must be quite a few future customers to buy their 3d products when they become available.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
If you rear-projection DLP guys think you have it bad, just look at us Samsung plasma owners. Samsung had a "3D Ready" plasma that they were selling for a couple of years. Both 50 incher and 42 incher. These plasmas use checkerboard for the 3D, so you might think there is some hope in terms of Mitsubishi's adapter, but chances are it won't work with the plasmas. Why?

Well, Samsung engineers in their brilliance decided to only allow the plasmas 3D mode to be activated if the display is receiving a 1360 x 768 or 1024 x 768 resolution. Those are the only two resolutions that work. Anything else, and the 3D option is grayed out, and can't be selected. I'm thinking my only hope of being able to watch a 3D Blu Ray on my plasma, is if 3D Blu Ray players come out for the PC, and can somehow support checkerboard, and I can get the resolution set to 1360 x 768.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm actually shocked that Mitsubishi is even making an adapter. You guys bought these "3D" TVs before the standards were set. From the Mitsubishi website it appears that the only 3D these TVs were intended for is gaming using a Windows PC with a nvidia card. I'm guessing that NOWHERE in the Mitsubishi or the Samsung manuals is there any mention of 3D Blu-ray or 3D satellite. Perhaps the sales people told you that the sets would work with any future 3D source, but if it's not in writing anywhere, then you'll be lucky to get an adapter. Don't get me wrong---I think it's great that Mitsubishi is following through and taking care of the current owners. If every company did that, then we wouldn't have to be so skeptical about what sales people tell us.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 /forum/post/18239686

I'm actually shocked that Mitsubishi is even making an adapter. You guys bought these "3D" TVs before the standards were set. From the Mitsubishi website it appears that the only 3D these TVs were intended for is gaming using a Windows PC with a nvidia card. I'm guessing that NOWHERE in the Mitsubishi or the Samsung manuals is there any mention of 3D Blu-ray or 3D satellite. Perhaps the sales people told you that the sets would work with any future 3D source, but if it's not in writing anywhere, then you'll be lucky to get an adapter. Don't get me wrong---I think it's great that Mitsubishi is following through and taking care of the current owners. If every company did that, then we wouldn't have to be so skeptical about what sales people tell us.

3D BD and/or 3D TV isn't listed in the manual because there was no such thing back then. Also, there still isn't a single standard even today. There is a standard for distribution (for 3D BD), but there isn't a standard for the display method.

I'm not sure why the HDMI group decided to leave out the TI checkerboard method, because they could have just as easily have included it.

And other manufacturers make the converters also, albeit more expensive than the rumored Mits price.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/18241079

3D BD and/or 3D TV isn't listed in the manual because there was no such thing back then. Also, there still isn't a single standard even today. There is a standard for distribution (for 3D BD), but there isn't a standard for the display method.

I'm not sure why the HDMI group decided to leave out the TI checkerboard method, because they could have just as easily have included it.

And other manufacturers make the converters also, albeit more expensive than the rumored Mits price.

isn't it amazing how these companies don't mention these details when they as much as say how future proof these sets were to be when they said 3d ready.just be careful when buying these new 3d sets as you to might be taken in also.i am going to wait for at least a year before venturing into this 3d mess.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby /forum/post/18241411

isn't it amazing how these companies don't mention these details when they as much as say how future proof these sets were to be when they said 3d ready.just be careful when buying these new 3d sets as you to might be taken in also.i am going to wait for at least a year before venturing into this 3d mess.

I already have one. I didn't buy it specifically for 3D, but so far, it works great. If it works with the Mits converter, even better.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/18244053

I already have one. I didn't buy it specifically for 3D, but so far, it works great. If it works with the Mits converter, even better.

glad to hear you are using it for 3d.hope to enjoy mine too when mits converter becomes available.your starting to build up my confidence towards future 3d enjoyment.here is hoping we get the support needed.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts