AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,


I bought an Onkyo 5008 receiver and I am having issues with video displaying via HDMI. I can hear the audio, just not see the video on either my X-box 360 or Blu-ray player. My TV's display will flash "Not Supported." If I power off the receiver, then I can see the video and then hear the sound through my tv. My TV is a 1080p 60hz. If I change the receiver's video processing from "Use" to "Skip" then everything works correctly. If I manually set the resolution on the receiver, only 480p semi works. It will flash the picture on and off every other second. Here is a list of things I have tried...


- tried several different HDMI cables

- tried doing a factory reset on my receiver

- tried updating the receiver's firmware

- tried different HDMI ports on both receiver and tv

- tried both HDMI monitor out on the receiver.


I called Onkyo and the tech support only had me make sure that RIHD was turned off and then told me to send it back. Exchanging the receiver isn't an issue as the place I bought it from pays for the shipping back. My concern is I want to make sure there isn't something I am missing. I am thinking the receiver could have a bad hdmi board or processor but I want to pick the forum's brains to see if I missed something.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
You don't seem to missing anything obvious. Some TVs don't play well with some receivers/source combinations, so there's always a possibility that getting a replacement will not help.


Your TV's not an LG, is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
You don't seem to missing anything obvious. Some TVs don't play well with some receivers/source combinations, so there's always a possibility that getting a replacement will not help.


Your TV's not an LG, is it?
No it is an Insignia NS-L322Q-10A. My worry is the receiver isn't playing nice with the TV and I am wasting my time sending the receiver back. I know Insignia are the more cost effective tv. The funny thing is I am going to be buying a new TV in a couple weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Hmmm. Well, can you wait for the new TV? Maybe the problem would quitely go away with the new TV.


If they do a direct exchange at the store, by all means, go for it. It's always possible something is not working right.


You don't have an accomodating friend or neighbor you would test your receiver with their TV?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
Hmmm. Well, can you wait for the new TV? Maybe the problem would quitely go away with the new TV.


If they do a direct exchange at the store, by all means, go for it. It's always possible something is not working right.


You don't have an accomodating friend or neighbor you would test your receiver with their TV?
LOL one step ahead of you. I talked to my friend and I'm going to bring my receiver to a friend's house on Monday. It can't hurt to eliminate the tv or the receiver. Nothing would be more annoying than sending back the receiver and finding out it was the tv. Thank you very much for your feedback. It has been helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos
No it is an Insignia NS-L322Q-10A. My worry is the receiver isn't playing nice with the TV and I am wasting my time sending the receiver back. I know Insignia are the more cost effective tv. The funny thing is I am going to be buying a new TV in a couple weeks.
Dont know the LG correlation, but LG makes many Insignia house brand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
I only mentioned LG, because I have seen a few people have issues with their LG. Not trying to single them out due to some personal bias.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The regular composite video works fine with processor on. Also, if I enable the processor and set the HDMI resolution to 480p, I can see the picture but it cuts in and out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried it on another tv and this time I could get the 1080p but I got digital horizontal lines and then every 1 minute the tv would say "no input" It's got to be the receiver.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top