AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Panny TH-50PHD8UK plasma with the DVI input board. My question is how can I tell what the incoming signal is from my PC (e.g. 480p, 720p, etc.)? I've searched online and poured over the manual to no avail. The "info" button on the panny remote only tells me that it's displaying in "full" mode.

Background on this is that I'm trying to figure out if my Vista Media Center machine is upconverting for DVD playback. I have VMC set for 1366x768, but DVD playback doesn't look any different if I set it to 480p.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
DVD is 480p so I wouldn't really expect it to look vastly different (or even noticeably different) when set to a different resolution.

If the PC says it's set to 1360x768, then that's what it's set to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can find exactly what its is sending to the display by looking up on your graphics card output settings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you guys, but I'm wondering how to verify on the screen side the incoming signal. On my old Sony plasma, when I switched inputs or when the signal changed, it would display 480p, 720p, etc. but I see no such option on the Panny.

Why? According to htslider over on Green Button:

"Media Center has always had the ability to upconvert DVDs*to HD and output the video with much improved image quality...If you're using VGA,*DVI or playing an unprotected DVD, the DVD standard does allow for upconversion, so Media Center leaves whatever resolution you've selected used and upconverts the DVD to that before outputting it.

Note that if you have a low end or very old video card the upconversion isn't very good (and FFDShow will do a much better job of upconversion), but if you're running at least an ATI X1300 or at least an Nvidia 6600 video card, the upconversion is just as good as FFDShow; possibly better.

If you have one of these cards, hook up your HDTV using DVI,*find out what your HDTVs native resolution is and configure Media Center to use it (using the TV configuration tools within settings).* In our case we use 1920x1080i (1080i in the Media Center resolution list) for everything and DVDs look incredible compared to using our hardware standalone DVD player (we haven't used out standalone DVD player in about 3 years)."
I get an awesome picture on HDTV, but DVD playback looks just okay. I've heard others say that upconverted DVD playback in VMC is comparable to Blu-Ray. As a test, I switched the output in VMC to 480p: everything degrades, but DVD playback looks the same. I suspect VMC is not upconverting, but don't know quite how to verify.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I have seen others indicate the display can tell me what it's being fed from VMC. Hoping someone with the same family of Panny plasmas can let me know if such an option exists.

Mike

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismjy1 /forum/post/14252677

I get an awesome picture on HDTV, but DVD playback looks just okay. I've heard others say that upconverted DVD playback in VMC is comparable to Blu-Ray. As a test, I switched the output in VMC to 480p: everything degrades, but DVD playback looks the same. I suspect VMC is not upconverting, but don't know quite how to verify.

Hoping someone with the same family of Panny plasmas can enlighten me?

Mike

No upconversion is going to make DVD look like Blu Ray. Not even close.

If your screen is filled with the DVD image, then VMC is upconverting. Since DVD only has 480p resolution there's not much you can do to improve it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
-DVI Input

-SETUP

-SIGNAL

There should be a field with horizontal and vertical freq. info toward the bottom.

TW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts