AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a stupid mistake and burned a bunch of media to DVD at 16x, even though I was using 8x media. As a result, I have a pile of approximately 100 DVD's that need to be sorted through, since some of them work (b/c I managed to burn them at 8x), and others were accidentally burned at 16x.

Is there any software to help with this? One idea I had was using something like DVD Shrink or SmartRipper to copy the media onto my HD, and if the copy is successful, then I know the integrity of the DVD is in tact. Is there a better solution?

Also, I would like to leverage my multiple computers that have 1-2 DVD drives each, so that I could potentially parse 7 or 8 DVD's at a time. Going through 100 discs 1 at a time (at appx 20-30 mins per disc) sounds really painful.

If someone could recommend a better software solution, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Dustin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I don't have a Lite-on drive, and I didn't verify after the burn.. :(

I was reading and found that Nero has "DVD/CD Speed" software that I think might do the trick. Is this my best bet?

I just hate to find out a movie I burned was bad when I'm actually watching it, I'd like to have some faith in my movies before I put them in the player.. :)

Thanks,

Dustin

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
I was reading and found that Nero has "DVD/CD Speed" software that I think might do the trick. Is this my best bet?
Yep in Nero CD-DVD Speed go to ScanDisc under EXTRA.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
One thing I've heard, used, and now recommend... make a small par2 set for each archive to disk. No more than 5% or so, but enough to recover from small glitches. Is it a pain? Sometimes. But try losing your precious "Band of Brothers" 10 hours of HD episodes! ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
One thing I've heard, used, and now recommend... make a small par2 set for each archive to disk. No more than 5% or so, but enough to recover from small glitches. Is it a pain? Sometimes. But try losing your precious "Band of Brothers" 10 hours of HD episodes!
Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate abit more?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Sure... keep in mind this is only good for things like .ts file you want to archive and that sort of thing. I guess you could do it for ripped DVDs to, you would just have to compress extra to account for the needed space. Go here:

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

And get Quickpar. You tell it what file you want to create recorvery files for, the total size of the recovery set (like I said, I use 3-5% depending), and let it rip. There are some other options I can attempt to explain if you need them. Anyway, when you are done you will end up with "Filename.par2" and a few other .p01, etc; files. When you archive off the file to the DVD copy all those files over as well. Later on, if you have issues with the archive just copy everything back down to a hard drive and run the par2 file. It will attempt to recover the bad blocks using the parity set.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
It's always a good idea to keep a 0 block par2 file on each DVD-R. That way you can pop it into the drive and and just double click on the file to verify the file integrity at any time. I do this for important files like digital photos, etc.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
You can verify the integrity the data on a DVD simply by reading all of the data on the disc, which you can do, for example, by copying the disc's contents to a temporary directory. The disc has error detection information recorded with every block. If any of the blocks cannot be read successfully, you will be notified during the read operation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
balazer,

Thanks, I was actually considering something like that if I couldn't find a software solution. But it looks like the DVD Scan/ScanDisk thing from Nero is working out pretty good. I tried some DVD's that I knew were bad from experience, as well as ones I knew were good, and it's been very consistent. Another nice thing about it is, while you're scanning, it will show you which track on the DVD is bad, so it's easy to play the DVD and pick out the section/scene that's messed up.

I highly recommend this freeware utility to anyone who finds themselves in the same predicament as me. If anyone has experience with a better software package let me know, but otherwise, this one is certainly doing the trick (so far, knock on wood!).

Thanks,

Dustin

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm testing all my dvds with DVDInfoPro - its free and shows if there are any problems (for example difficulaties in reading some sectos) on disc.

As madpoet i keep all my HD recordings with Par2 files.

As rule of thumb i split files into 100mb portions and then will burn atleast 200mb of par2 files in 5 different files.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.