AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I already have HDTV through Dish Network (and OTA) running through my projector in my theater.

Now I would like to have OTA only hooked up to a HDTV ready direct view TV in my den.

My question is, what is the cheepest way to get an OTA HDTV tuner hooked up? I do not want a subscription service such as Direct TV or Dish Network.

Thank everyone.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
The cheapest....

Put a spiltter on your existing OTA coax feed and run an additional feed to your HDTV Ready set.

Then you will need an STB (HD Tuner). Cheapest is to try a find a used one or check CC or BB for an 'Open Box' item. Connect the STB to the HDTV Ready set with component video cables.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ratman, thanks for the reply.

I do plan to simply split the OTA feed.

My main issue is with the tuner. Which one? All I need is the 8VSB. I don't want to spend $500 for one.

·
Registered
22,141 Posts
Basically, most all STB's have a provision to decode 8VSB OTA and Satellite. The Samsung is one of the VERY few STB's that do OTA only. The Sammy may be the way to go if you do not require Satellite.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Quote:
I don't want to spend $500 for one.
Unfortunately, all HDTV STBs are still pretty expensive and there isn't much available for under $500 with or without DIRECTV. You can get the Samsung for just under $400 after rebate, but to find anything cheaper you probably need to take Ratman's advice and find an open box item.

A couple newer less feature-rich OTA-only models are supposed to come out this summer at MSRP of $399 which could have a lower street price, but none are available yet.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Yes, I did see the Samsung at Best Buy for $399 (after rebate).

This is probably my best option.

Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
856 Posts
There is also the option of a HDTV tuner card in an HTPC. Those cards still cost between $300.00 and $400.00 though (but they offer the ability to timeshift).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rick.

I actually tried that already. I found the Hauppauge card to be vertually unusable due to drop-outs. It simply would lose the signal every 5 seconds. I replaced it with a Dish 6000 a year ago and have never had a problem since.

I am over 60 miles from the the HDTV towers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.