AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a place where I can order cherry wood trim.

I would like to use it for windows, doors, and AV rack trim.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Call a local millworks shop. They can run any moulding you like at a per foot price. Here in Atlanta, I have found it is almost 1/2 the price to have a custom shop run it as opposed to ordering it through the big home improvement stores.

Ben

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Are you looking for simple dimensional stock or millwork? Anyway, hardwood is so variable in quality from piece to piece nowadays that I'd want to see it and select dimensional pieces myself. If you put your location in your profile, maybe somebody close to you knows of a good place. Another good place for the question would be the Internet newsgroup rec.woodworking

Get prepared for sticker shock if you aren't already. Advantage Lumber is listing 4/4 flat sawn cherry at $5.60 a board foot right now. A less expensive wood with a similar look is alder but fewer places carry it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
greywolf,

I will fix my profile. It is NW Chicago burbs.

I'm looking for 1/2" or 3/4" or so thick in a variety of withs. Mostly longer pieces. 8 feet would be great.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Well neighbor, I guess I'm one local source for you. The last place I went to was Owl. http://www.owlhardwood.com/ is their website.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got around and picked up my wood. This is really nice place. Good selection of quality wood and they do some minor trimming for free on the spot.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Yeah. I need to go back there soon. I built a dining room table but no chairs yet, The mismatch with the old chairs isn't pretty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Here in Louisiana we have several custom wood dryers that are very cheap in comparison to retailers. They can be a good source of excellent lumber. You would of course have to make your own trim out of it or have someone else do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.